A minor is not required to complete a BBA degree. However, if a student chooses to complete a minor, he or she must use the online form to officially declare or change the minor. Students must have declared a major before declaring a minor. In addition, students must complete a minor according to the following requirements, policies, and procedures:
Business students can only declare ONE official minor. Minors do NOT appear on UT Austin transcripts or diplomas. Minors are reflected only on a student's profile record, degree audit, and on the certification letter mailed to the student after she or he graduates.
- A minor consists of 12 hours in a field that is recognized by UT Austin as a major program. For example, Real Estate is not a valid minor, because it is not a degree program at UT Austin.
Nine of the 12 hours must be upper-division.
Six of the 12 hours must be completed in residence at UT Austin. UT Extension, Correspondence, and Placement work is not in residence.
- Only one business core course or one course counted toward the basic education requirements may be used toward the minor.
- Courses used for the minor must be taken on a letter-grade basis even if used as electives elsewhere on the student's degree plan.
- Students must meet the prerequisites and other departmental restrictions placed on courses they wish to take for the minor. Selecting a certain minor in no way guarantees the student access to those courses.
- All other policies regarding degree requirements apply toward minor requirements. This includes restrictions on duplicate courses as defined by the undergraduate catalog.
- A minor must be completed prior to or simultaneously with the major. A minor CANNOT be completed after the student has graduated with his or her BBA degree. Verification that the minor was completed will occur during the certification process for graduation. At that time, one of the following will occur:
Student completes both major and minor: Student is certified in both, is mailed a certification letter stating that a BBA degree was earned in the specified major and with the specified minor.
Student completes degree requirements for major, but not for minor: Student is certified in the major and mailed a letter stating that a BBA degree was earned in the specified major. Student is also mailed a separate letter stating that the minor was not completed and has been permanently removed from the student's record.
Student does not complete major: Student is removed from the graduation roster and is mailed a removal letter. Regardless if the minor is completed, the student will not receive certification in the minor until the major is completed.
Business Minor for Non-Business Students
Students who are not pursuing a BBA degree in the McCombs School of Business may complete a business minor by taking Business Foundations Courses. Check with your dean's office to verify that you meet all requirements for your degree program.