About the BBA Career Shadowing Program (CSP)
The BBA Career Shadowing Program’s overall purpose is to increase career and industry awareness. Participants have the opportunity to gain a better understanding of connecting a major to a career. Participants are able to network with business professionals, observe operations, and experience an organization’s culture. The program promotes a learning environment by linking working professionals to students and assisting students in making decisions regarding their career. This allows students to gather information on organizations, industries, and careers.
What to Expect
- Participants will have the opportunity to observe a working professional in their environment to gain a better understanding of business processes. Shadowing in different areas could open up new interests for students.
- Students will have the opportunity to explore different career fields and industries which can help clarify future career interests and help to start building relationships with working professionals. Also, meeting with people from different divisions can help students narrow down what roles appeal to them.
- Career shadowing helps to connect students with potential mentors in a chosen field.
- Networking opportunities within industry/company; potentially with young professionals and recent alumni
- Participants are introduced to real word experiences through which they can learn personal experiences from recent alumni.
- During career shadowing, students can learn about options for career development and leadership opportunities within an organization. Students can hear firsthand what future aspirations professionals have in those positions.
- Students will have the opportunity to put academic learning into practice.
- Participants will be able to obtain company insight to help better prepare for the interviewing process.
- Career shadowing gives participants the opportunity to conduct informal interviews with those whom they are shadowing for the day. Asking questions, including questions which aren’t specifically related to a position, can help students gain a better understanding of what is expected of them after graduating from college.
Career Shadowing Applications
The Career Shadowing Program targets undeclared freshman and transfer students. There are limited spots available to current Texas BBA students who are not eligible for graduation within the next two semesters. The fall application is now open. The first CSP application deadline is Tuesday, September 30. Please contact Rachel Rucker with any questions.
Fall 2014 Employer Participants
General Electric (Dallas) - Friday, October 17
GE works on things that matter. The best people and the best technologies taking on the toughest challenges. Finding solutions in energy, health and home, transportation and finance. Building, powering, moving and curing the world. Not just imagining. Doing. GE works.
GE Real Estate
GE Real Estate specializes in commercial real estate financing and offers mortgage loans to investors and owner operators for the acquisition and refinancing of property across the globe.
GE Capital provides equipment leasing, financing and other services to deliver significant benefits to customers. Everything from heavy machinery to light jets, car fleets to copiers; GE Capital’s products and services are customized with flexible structure and payment terms to match the customer’s unique needs and goals.
Positions recruited: GE Capital Controllership Development Program – Intern; GE Capital Controllership Development Program; Equipment Finance Summer Intern
Ryan - Friday, October 24
Ryan is a leading global tax services firm, with the largest indirect tax practice in North America and the seventh largest corporate tax practice in the United States. Headquartered in Dallas, Texas, the Firm provides a comprehensive range of state, local, federal, and international tax advisory and consulting services on a multi-jurisdictional basis, including audit defense, tax recovery, credits and incentives, tax process improvement and automation, tax appeals, tax compliance, and strategic planning.
Positions recruited: Entry-Level Consultant; Associate Consultant; Property Tax Intern; Summer Internships
General Electric (Houston) - Friday, November 14
GE Oil & Gas
GE Oil & Gas is a world leader in advanced technologies and services with 43,000 employees in more than 100 countries supporting customers across the industry—from extraction to transportation to end use. Making the environment, health, safety, quality and integrity our highest priorities is the way we work.
Positions recruited: Energy Finance, Investment Analyst ; Financial Management Program (FMP)
Frequently Asked Questions
Will I be interviewed by an employer if I participate in the program?
No, but this is a great opportunity to network and do an informational interview while onsite.
Will participation in the Career Shadowing Program lead to an internship or FT position?
Not necessarily. This is a great way to meet professionals within an organization and start conversations with employee who can coach you in the hiring process.
Am I required to attend an Information Session/Orientation?
Yes, participants will attend a required information session/orientation the week prior to your Career Shadowing experience. Attending a Career Shadowing Program information session/orientation will give you information on what to expect while participating in Career Shadowing. Please meet with your Career Advisor or Peer Career Advisor prior to your CSP experience to review your resume and discuss your career opportunities.
How do I get to the employer site?
Please indicate on the application form if you will need transportation provided for you. If outside of Austin, transportation will be provided for the group. For students participating in a Career Shadowing visit within Austin, the option to utilize your own transportation may be available. Please note, some trips might be scheduled over a University break, so transportation will need to be arranged for those visits. If you need to provide your own transportation you will be notified prior to your CSP date.
What is the time commitment?
This varies by employer. Shadowing will last no longer than one day, but it could be a morning/afternoon or an all day visit.