skip main site navigation go to current site section navigation

Registering for Courses

Academic Advising for Accepted Study Abroad Students

Meeting with your academic advisor satisfies the Credit Walk-In Hours and Credit Processing requirements on the Study Abroad Portal.

Is there a deadline to meet with my academic advisor before going abroad?

All summer and fall BBA study abroad students must meet with their academic advisor between May 3rd and before you leave Austin but no later than June 15th, spring students between November 18th – December 20th.

What will be discussed with my academic advisor?

  • Out of your remaining degree requirements, which could possibly be fulfilled abroad?
  • Degree requirements that must be taken the semester you return to UT, paying particular attention to pre-requisites, sequenced classes, and classes offered only once a year.
  • Graduation dates, and deadlines for applying for graduation.

What should I take with me to my academic advising appointment?

  • Keep in mind that your advisor won’t know what classes your host school will offer.  Look at your host school’s website and make a list of classes (number and title) that will be offered the semester you are there. Next to each class, write down the UT equivalent credit (if known), which you can find in our Course Equivalency Database in Blackboard. If you see a class that is not in our database and if you can find a syllabus for it, send it to Josh to have evaluated.  Try to have classes evaluated before your academic advising appointment if possible.
  • Before you applied to study abroad you met with Leah or Josh and discussed what degree requirements you might find at your host school, so you should have an idea already on what you need. However, since you may have changed your major or added a minor, for example, you should make an up-to-date Interactive Degree Audit in UT Direct. Consider your remaining degree requirements when looking for classes on your host school’s website and in our Course Equivalency Database in Blackboard.

It is common for students to not fulfill the exact degree requirements they had originally planned to fulfill; therefore, it is very important that you understand your degree plan and requirements so that you can make informed decisions in case you encounter registration issues abroad.

After your appointment, your academic advisor will send you a Secure Academic Note (SAN) as a follow-up to what you discussed in your appointment. 

While you are abroad, once you email Josh your final list of classes and once the UT equivalent credits are known, he will send you a SAN, copying your advisor, and list your classes as well as how each will fit into your degree plan.  Your advisor will be able to reply to you with some advice regarding your upcoming registration at UT.

The Course Equivalency Database is also available on the BBA International Programs Blackboard Community.

Pre-Departure Registration


Formal registration at UT and the host school are two separate matters. 

At UT Austin
  • During your appropriate registration access period, you register yourself into 12 hours (6 hours if you go abroad in the summer) of generic “SAB 300” at UT. This generates a tuition/fee bill, which you will pay by the deadline in the same manner as that of any other semester.  It also serves as a place-holder until we transfer your study abroad credit.
  • Fall or Spring: Enter the unique #00180 four times, for 12 hours of SAB 300.
  • Summer: Enter the unique #70180 two times, for 6 hours of SAB 300. (BI Norway summer, do once for 3 hours)
  • Students who take a course load that exceeds 12 UT hours (fall or spring) or 6 UT hours (summer) must transfer the additional hours back to UT and this will be reflected on their UT transcript.  However, a student can request to Q-drop any course beyond 12 hours (or 6 hours for summer) provided that:
    1. The request is submitted to Leah Miller via email by mid-semester, and
    2. The student does not take the final exam. Please note that the request to Q-drop a course must receive Dean’s Office approval. 
    3. Do not register for more than 12 hours (6 for summer) before you go!  An extra class can always be added, but cannot be removed.
    At the host school

    Students generally receive information from their host schools 1-2 months before classes begin, outlining the steps to register for classes there.  At all host schools it is possible to make changes after arrival, although the number of changes is restricted at some.


    Looking for courses to take abroad
    • Consult the website for your host school and check the courses offered with the Course Equivalency database (also located in the Vital Resources section in our Blackboard Community).  Please be sure to read the notice that accompanies the database of UT equivalents.
    • If the courses that will be offered while you are abroad are not yet listed on their website, view the offerings of the current and past semesters.
    Determining the UT equivalent credit to your study abroad courses
    • All courses taken abroad, whether or not you need them to satisfy certain degree requirements, must be evaluated and assigned a UT equivalent. The ones in our Course Equivalency database have already been evaluated by the appropriate academic department and do not need to be evaluated again unless you want to see if a course can be evaluated in a different department (cross-listed), or if the course was last evaluated over five years ago.
    • If you find a course that is offered abroad that has not been evaluated for credit at UT, try to find the syllabus on the host school’s website. You may not be able to find sufficient information to have it evaluated before you go, in which case you will provide the course information while you are abroad. If you can find a syllabus, please email it to Josh Rucker or turn it into him via the UPO front desk. The syllabus must be in English, and it must include the course objectives, course content covered, the numbers of hours in class the entire semester, the reading materials, and assessment methods. For coursesnotin English, students must provide both the original syllabus/description and the English translation of the course.
    • To be equivalent to a specific UT business course, the course at the host school must cover the same topics.  Comparing descriptions with the Undergraduate Catalog and course syllabi often helps (available in the departmental offices and on-line from the McCombs Web site).
    • For a course to be worth 3 hours of UT academic credit, it must have approximately 45 contact hours (time spent in the classroom). Contact hours for a particular course abroad can vary from semester to semester.
    • We cannot guarantee that you will get to take exactly what you need/want, and you may not know what you will take until you get there. Plan to be flexible. 
    • Please note that the Course Equivalency Database as well as the process for having a course offered abroad evaluated for UT credit will be automated and online at some point next semester.  Until further notice, please continue to follow these instructions.

    Rules to remember:

    • You must take a minimum of 12 hours (6 for summer programs). This may consist of more than four classes (2 for summer).
    • You must take at least two business courses (one for summer).
    • 50% rule:  Half of your major coursework must be completed physically at UT-Austin. Other courses that must be taken physically at UT are the required integrative course for each major (FIN 370, IB 378, MAN 374, MIS 375, MKT 370), and writing component courses.
    • BHP students wanting to fulfill Honors courses while abroad are responsible for consulting with a BHP advisor prior to departure and must complete a petition. BHP students who take a course approved for Honors credit must transfer the grade received, cannot take the course on the pass/fail basis, and cannot retake the course at UT later if they are not satisfied with the grade earned.

    Credit Walk-In Hours

    BBA students do not attend walk-in hours, that is for main UT Study Abroad Office program participants.  To complete this requirement, you must meet with your regular academic adviser to discuss how the classes you are considering taking abroad might affect your degree requirements, and also any registration issues for the semester you return. Refer to the “Academic Advising Requirement” document distributed at the Pre-departure Workshop and also in Blackboard for full details.

    While Abroad

    As soon as your registration at your host school is finalized, simply email Josh a list of your classes, including the number and title. If the course has been evaluated and is listed in our Course Equivalency database, include the UT equivalent credit; if not, indicate the degree requirement you hope to fulfill, and send a syllabus. Without the syllabus, we cannot have it evaluated for UT credit. If you need to have a course evaluated in order to decide what to take, send the syllabus to Josh as soon as possible.

    After you email Josh your final list of classes and once the UT equivalent credits are known, he will send you a SAN or email, copying your advisor, and list your classes as well as how each will fit into your degree plan. Your advisor will be able to reply to you with some advice regarding your upcoming registration at UT.


    Grades for the courses you take abroad are determined by the host institution.

    Grades from abroad are converted to UT grades according to established guidelines. This is merely a process of conversion. You are responsible for meeting the performance expectations of your host instructors and for following the host institution’s processes and policies regarding grades and credit. UT will not overrule another instructor’s evaluation or another institution’s policies. Any questions or issues you have concerning a grade earned abroad must be directed to the instructor of the course. Grade conversion scales can be viewed on the School Info Page located in Blackboard.

    Academic Integrity

    The UT and McCombs codes of conduct and academic integrity policies still apply for McCombs students participating on UT or McCombs study abroad programs.


    Upon Return to UT

    • It normally takes half to three-quarters of the semester following the exchange semester to process your credit.  It may take even more time for students with unique and individual situations. 
    • Graduating seniors receive first priority in processing. The BBA International Coordinators work closely with the Undergraduate Programs Office and the Registrar to complete students’ records.  In accordance with guidelines worked out with the UPO, coursework pending from the exchange semester will be listed as soon as possible and practical in the online advising system to enable students to apply for graduation by the deadline.  Graduating students’ records must then be completed by certification at the end of the semester to graduate.  Students whose records cannot be completed in time for certification will graduate in absentia in the semester that follows.
    • For non-graduating students, pending coursework that does not post to the transcript in time for prerequisite checks will also be noted, where possible, in the online advising system.  The International Programs Coordinators will also enter waivers where necessary for students who fulfill prerequisite courses abroad, but you must inform us of what waivers you need as soon as possible before registration begins.
    • Once you have been notified that your study abroad credit is ready to process and that we are just waiting for your input regarding your grades and Pass/Fail decisions, if the BBA International Programs office doesn’t hear back from you before registration, it will process your credit without your input.
    • Due to differences in calendars, marking and grade reporting procedures, the time it takes to receive a final grade report varies from partner to partner.  Until a transcript of some sort is available, it is not possible to complete a student’s record, and courses will continue to show on the UT transcript as generic SAB 300 hours.  The Registrar requires that course titles, numbers and grades all be posted to the student’s record at the same time.

    Course Equivalency Database

    Curious about what classes you could take overseas? Search through the Course Equivalency Database to see what business and non-business courses McCombs students have taken abroad and how they transferred to UT.

    Important Notice Concerning the Database of UT Equivalencies

    You must read and acknowledge your understanding of this policy before you can access the online database.

    The database is a very helpful tool intended to help students explore course offerings at partner schools. It cannot replace the specific guidance students receive in an individual advising appointment. To use the database most effectively, it’s important to understand what information it conveys as well as its limitations, as outlined below.

    1. The database reflects the courses students have taken at some point abroad and the UT credit they received. A student who takes the same business course at the same partner university may expect to earn the same credit, barring any substantial changes to the course content. (See #4 below for more information).
    2. Each partner has its own guidelines on what type of coursework it makes available to exchange students. Exchange advisors help students match their course plans and goals with partners’ offerings. (At the University of Bath, for example, UT students are expected to choose from advanced fourth-year classes).
    3. Students are not restricted to the courses listed in the database. It is a living, growing document; as additional courses are evaluated, they are incorporated into the record.  Courses must be re-evaluated every three years.  Courses due for re-evaluation are indicated as "was XYZ" in the Notes section.
    4. The database provides no information on when (which semester) or if a course will be offered. For this information students should consult the host institutions’ course offerings on the web or in the printed materials kept in the BBA Programs Office. Often, specific courses are offered just once a year, while special topics courses may be offered only one time.
    5. The database is a historical record. Just as at UT, partner schools periodically implement curriculum changes, and courses may change in content or be cancelled. If the material covered for a specific course title changes substantially or credit hours are adjusted, (not common, but we have encountered these issues) a re-evaluation of the course will be necessary.
    6. It is possible to have a business or non-business course at a partner school evaluated at any time, if a syllabus is available. Contact a BBA International Programs advisor for more information.

    Reminder of UT Regulations:

    1. Students are expected to register for an equivalent of 12 hours of courses the semester they study abroad, taking at least two business classes (some partners may require more). At some partner schools students may need to take more than or fewer than four courses to achieve the appropriate required load.
    2. Please be aware of the 50 Percent Rule: At least 50 percent of coursework in a student’s major must be completed in Austin at UT. For example, a marketing major may take nine hours of marketing electives abroad if s/he takes MKT 337, MKT 460, and MKT 370 here. For IB majors, the ratio applies to the required IB classes and electives; area studies classes are not included in the 50 percent ratio.
    3. Students must take the required integrative course for their major (FIN 370, IB 378, MAN 374, MKT 370) here at UT. Substantial writing component courses must also be taken at UT.

    Reminder of Pre-Requisites:

    1. Students participating on a semester or year exchange program must have completed both Economics and both Math courses prior to departure. Completion of such courses is not required at the time of applying, only before a student goes abroad.
    2. It is highly recommended that students complete ACC 312 prior to studying abroad.
    3. Course pre-requisites do not apply for students participating on BBA summer exchange programs

    Other Course Offerings at Partner Universities

    In addition to the classes referenced in the Course Equivalency Database, there are additional business and non-business courses that the partner universities offer. Students are encouraged to visit the partner school's Web site to view course catalogs and specific course information. View links for all of the BBA exchange partner school Web sites.

    Academic Integrity

    The UT and McCombs codes of conduct and academic integrity policies still apply for McCombs students participating on UT or McCombs study abroad programs.


    I have read and acknowledge my understanding of this policy

    Special BBA International Programs Pass/Fail Policy

    Upon reviewing the grades earned on exchange at a BBA partner institution, business students may elect to place up to four courses on their records with a CR rather than with a UT letter grade. The following restrictions apply:

    1. The student must have earned the equivalent of a “C-” or better in a course to choose the CR option.
    2. Courses taken on a BBA exchange with the CR option may be counted toward any requirements for the degree, major, or minor. Exception: BHP students may take the CR option on any courses taken abroad except those used to fulfill the Honors “core” (courses designated with H). BHP students cannot retake an Honors course at UT later if you were not satisfied with your grade in the course you took abroad.
    3. A student may use a lifetime maximum of four (4) courses concluded with the CR designation, including those taken on a BBA exchange, to satisfy degree requirements. (i.e. a student who, prior to study abroad is already counting two courses taken on a P/F basis toward her/his degree, may elect to have no more than two courses taken on a BBA exchange recorded with CR.)
    4. Once a course is placed on the UT record the grade designation may not be changed.
    5. A student cannot take advantage of both the special BBA exchange pass/fail policy and the regular UT pass/fail policy when transferring their study abroad classes.  A student must choose one policy or the other.