Texas legislation guarantees admission to the University of Texas for students graduating in the top of their class from a Texas accredited high school. It does not, however, guarantee admission into the McCombs School of Business.
We want to ensure that our strongest applicants have access to the McCombs School of Business. Therefore, no spaces are guaranteed. Students will be holistically reviewed on the basis of the complete application that they submit. Admission to the program will be competitive so all applicants should take time and care to submit their strongest application.
Please note the following important information:
- McCombs only admits students for the Fall semester
- The Business Honors Program requires an additional application
- As a state-supported institution, the University reserves a majority of its space for Texas residents. Consequently, the admission of nonresidents is highly competitive.
- All decisions for Freshman applicants are made by the Office of Admissions
If not admitted to McCombs as a freshman, UT students will have the opportunity to apply for admission through the internal transfer process.
Freshman Application Checklist
The Freshman Application Detailed Checklist
- Submit your completed ApplyTexas Application.
- The ApplyTexas Application is used to determine admission eligibility to the University of Texas at Austin and the McCombs School of Business. No additional applications are required unless Applying to the Business Honors Program
- List "Unspecified Business" (200400) as your first choice major.
- Applicants to McCombs are required to answer two essays as part of the ApplyTexas Application. We suggest you write and edit your essay responses in Word (or similar application) and then copy and paste the text into the application. There are no editing functions within the online application.
- Provide a detailed resume which includes memberships in clubs and organizations, positions of leadership, academic honors, extracurricular activities and employment. Provide an estimate of how much time you spent on each activity (hours per week/weeks per year.) The Be A Longhorn website provides a sample resume that you can use as a template
| Official High School Transcript
- An official transcript includes the school's official seal, the signature of a school official, your class rank and size, and your high school coursework.
- Copies and faxes do not satisfy this requirement.
- If your high school does not rank class members, include a statement from your school stating its policy, a copy of your school's profile, and a grade distribution.
| Test Scores
- Have official SAT or ACT scores sent directly to UT Austin from the testing agency (scores on transcripts and student score reports don't fulfill this requirement).
- Learn more about testing and test scores.
| Letter of Recommendation
- Letters of Recommendations are optional. They serve as an additional point of information when they speak about new information or more in depth perspective into your application.
- UT Austin does NOT conduct interviews for candidates applying to the McCombs School of Business
|Non-refundable $75 application processing fee ($90 for international applicants)
- Online payment preferred; pay by credit card (MasterCard or Visa) if paid while applying online.
- Some students are eligible for a fee exemption.
|Additional Requirements (if applicable)
- Special Circumstances that might need to be considered such as socioeconomic status, family responsibilities, single parent home, etc. More info.
- International students who qualify for Texas residency: submit a complete copy of the Residency Affidavit.
- Resident aliens: submit a photocopy of both sides of your permanent resident card.
- Home-schooled students: submit any other credentials that reflect your academic potential (such as SAT subject test scores or dual credit coursework).
- Completed college coursework while in high school: submit official transcripts of the credit issued by the college or university.
#7 overall | U.S. News & World Report | September, 2012
U.S. News & World Report Rankings
|Insurance / Risk Management
|Production / Operations Management
|Quantitative Analysis / Methods
|Supply Chain Mgmt / Logistics
2012 Freshman Profile
|Average SAT (admitted):
|Average ACT (admitted):
|Average high school rank (admitted):
|Average SAT (enrolled):
|Average ACT (enrolled):
|Average high school rank (enrolled):
|Native Hawaiian / Pacific Islander