Sophomore Application is now open. Apply now!
The Business Honors Program admits a limited number of students who have completed their freshman year of college. The BHP accepts applications from students currently enrolled in UT's McCombs School of Business, other UT colleges (internal transfers), or students enrolled at a university other than UT Austin (external transfers).
All students interested in applying as a sophomore transfer need to complete a BHP Sophomore Application. External transfer applicants must also apply to transfer to the University of Texas at Austin. Internal Transfer students must also apply for acceptance to the McCombs School of Business.
Sophomore Candidate Criteria
- Number and academic challenge of courses taken (min. 24 hours)
- Earned (non-placement) GPA for the first year courses
- Evidence of college-level extracurricular activities and leadership
- Personal statement
- Professional resume (example)
- One letter of recommendation
- Phone interview with BHP alumnus (by invitation only throughout June)
- All applicants must agree to having their record checked with UT Student Judicial Services for any prior academic integrity violations. Any violations will be taken into consideration by the admissions committee.
Course Transfer Restrictions
- Applicants who complete any other course from the honors core (listed below) will not be eligible for sophomore admissions.
- No student admitted to BHP will be permitted to receive credit for any of these courses if they are taken during a summer session after the freshman year.
- Students are encouraged (but not required) to complete MIS 301 (non-honors) during their freshman year.
- Students may only count BA 101 as their other non-BHP business core class.
ACC 311, ACC 312, STA 309, STA 371,
BA 324, MAN 336, O M 335, FIN 357,
MKT 337, LEB 323, MAN 374
Required Completed Coursework for Admission Consideration
- Students must have completed at least 24 semester hours of college level coursework in the fall and spring semesters of their freshman year.
- Coursework must include Economics 304K and 304L, Mathematics 408K or 408C, and Mathematics 408L or 408D.
If you have an extenuating circumstance that prevents you from taking the course sequences listed above, please make an appointment with the BHP admissions director to discuss your situation.
Students are advised to enroll in GOV, HIS, and ECO classes at the University of Texas at Austin during their freshman year to show a challenging course load.
For more information on BHP admissions call, write or contact a student recruiter: