On-campus interviews are conducted during the fall and spring semesters in the Ford Career Center (FCC) Interview Suites (GSB 4.114). As soon as you are aware of your hiring needs, please contact your recruitment account manager. Please also refer to the On-Campus Recruiting Checklist, which serves as a resource for getting started. It is important to note that the FCC Interview Suites book early for peak recruiting months (September, October, February, and March).
McCombs Recruitment Services is currently accepting interview, Information Sessions, and Night Prior reservations. As some recruiting dates are popular and fill quickly, employers are strongly encouraged to plan ahead and be ready to submit your room reservation(s) once reservations open. Prior to booking, please check the Key Recruiting Dates calendar for potential recruiting conflicts. When booking your reservation, your Recruitment Account Manager will inform you of potential date conflicts (i.e. industry conflicts, etc.). If you have any questions about interview, Information Sessions, or Night Prior reservations, please contact your recruitment account manager.
Notification (via email) for room reservations is typically distributed in late spring (for fall reservations) and in early fall (for spring reservations).
Timelines for Making Interview Room Reservations:
- Fall Recruiting - room reservations typically open in April.
- Spring Recruiting - room reservations typically open in September.
Interview Schedule Models
For the pre-select models, you review a pool of candidates that respond to your job posting in our On-Campus Recruiting (OCR) systems. You determine whether students are “Invited,” “Not Invited,” or listed as "Alternate" for an interview. To obtain best results with a pre-select schedule, McCombs Recruitment Services should receive your "New Schedule Request" (Create New Schedule Request in OCR) at least six weeks prior to the planned interview date. There are four versions of the pre-select model, which allow differing levels of candidate exclusivity:
- Pre-Select to Alternate: This is the most popular model and allows for both invited students and alternates to schedule interviews, leading to a greater likelihood of a full schedule.
- Pre-Select to Alternate to Open: Initially “Invited” and “Alternate” students sign up for timeslots. Then, any qualified students are allowed to sign up for remaining times on the schedule.
- Pre-Select: This is our most selective model. Only invited students will be allowed to schedule interviews, and it is typical for one or more pre-selected students to decline their interviews. This model is the most likely to have unfilled slots in the interview schedule.
- Pre-Select to Open: Initially “Invited” students sign up for time slots. Then all qualified students are allowed to sign up for remaining times on the schedule.
Any qualified student may sign up on the interview schedule on a first-come, first-serve basis. No “pre-select” screening is involved. If you choose an “open” model, you cannot remove or preclude any candidates that meet your specified criteria for qualification. Please allow at least three weeks for this process.
The room-only model allows you to contact students and schedule interviews yourself. If you choose a room-only model, you will select your interview candidates from an available source, such as a career fair or resume book. You may use the room as a recruiting work room or solicit and select students on your own to interview. Please remember that room-only reservations used for interviews should follow the McCombs School of Business recruiting requirements
Interviews can be scheduled, regardless of interview model, within the following time frames:
- Interviews may begin as early as 8:00 a.m. and can be scheduled to start up until 5:00 p.m.
- All interviews must be completed by 6:00 p.m. The interview suites facility closes 30 minutes after the
last scheduled interview of the day is completed.
- Interviews can start and finish on the hour, quarter-hour, half-hour, or three-quarters hour
and must be of the same length of time on a single schedule (e.g. all 45-minute interviews).
When setting up an interview schedule, ensure that you correctly specify the time frames that will work for your recruiting team. Changes are difficult to accommodate once students begin to sign up for interview times. Austin travel itineraries should be considered before interview time frames are set up in the system.
Please notify your recruitment account manager well in advance if you are bringing a "greeter" or multiple interviewers for each interview room. This will allow our team to better accommodate your interview needs.
First Round Interviews
We advise employers against scheduling first round interviews on Fridays in order to avoid potential scheduling conflicts for students in second round interviews. Second round interviews are often conducted on Fridays off-campus and students may have potential conflicts.
Second Round Interviews
If an employer's second round interview interferes with a student's prior obligation (e.g., first round interview, class obligation, exam), employers are encouraged to offer the student an alternative date or time without negative consequence. If second round interviews are held off-campus, we recommend that you give students a minimum of three business days notice from the time of second round interview notification to the interview date so that the student can arrange travel and manage potential conflicts.
Day of Interview: Details
- Check in at the Ford Career Center (FCC) Interview Suites (GSB 4.114) on the fourth floor of the McCombs School of Business. This facility is only open on interview days.
- On recruiting days our front desk staff is ready to greet recruiters beginning at 7:30 a.m.
- Upon arrival, you will receive a packet of information that includes your room assignment, log-in information for Internet access, the schedule for the day, and copies of student resumes. Schedule data is not provided if you have a “room only” schedule or if you add students to your schedule outside of our On-Campus Recruiting (OCR) systems.
- We will collect business cards from each member of your team, give you a brief tour of our center, and escort you to your interview room(s).
- If you scheduled your interviews through OCR, your interview schedules will be posted for McCombs students to reference.
- On the day of the interviews, students will be seated near your suite door approximately five minutes prior to their interview appointments.
- Our interview suites facility is designed to make your visit as comfortable as possible. If you have any questions on the day of your interviews, please check in at the reception desk. The FCC facility amenities are available only to McCombs recruiters.
FCC Interview Suites Facility Includes:
- Wireless internet
- Comfortable lounge area with restrooms
- Copy/scan machine
- Bottled water, juice, soda and coffee
- A business station with Internet access and Microsoft Office software
Interview Changes and Cancellations
We recognize that you may need to change or cancel your interview dates or times. When this occurs, please do the following:
- As soon as you are aware that a change or cancellation is necessary, contact your recruitment account manager.
- Notify interviewees if the change occurs within five business days of the scheduled interview date. We have found that recruiter participation helps to promote a positive employer image for future recruiting.
- Due to recruiting volume, we are unable to assist you in rescheduling any interviews after the schedule close date. Schedule close dates are noted in our On-Campus Recruiting (OCR) systems.
Employers may utilize McCombs Career Services facilities for pre-employment testing if the following applies:
- Testing is limited to McCombs School of Business students only.
- Employers send a representative to proctor the examination.
- Employers are solely responsible for scheduling students.
- Testing occurs between the hours of 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. on Fridays.
Please keep in mind that testing is subject to room availability. Rooms may be booked through your recruitment account manager