2016 Subiendo Academy: June 12-16
The application for the 2016 Subiendo Academy opens November 1, and must be submitted by January 31. Decisions are announced by email by March 31. To apply, you must be a current high school junior. Two essays, a letter of recommendation, and an unofficial transcript will be required in addition to the completed application. To begin the application, you will need a UT EID. If you do not have one, the application button will prompt you to create one. Click "I need a UT EID." and complete these next steps.
Applying for a UT EID:
- On the first page "Get a UT EID" select continue
- On the second page "Describe Your Relationship with the University of Texas" answer "NO" to all the questions and hit continue.
- On the third page "Provide Personal Information" fill in the following questions: First (given) Name, Last (Family) Name, Date of Birth, and Email(Failure to provide an email address will cause login errors!). Then press continue.
- On the fourth page "Set Up Password Reset Questions" Select Three questions and input three answers. Keep these answers in a safe place.
- On the fifth page "Set Password and Password Hint" and save answer in a safe place.
- On the sixth page "Confirm Information" make sure your information is correct and select continue.
- On the seventh page "UT EID Creation Complete" you should be given a UT EID. Please record this information. You will need it to access your application.
- If you have trouble with the form or questions on your EID status, please contact UT Information Technology Services (ITS) help desk at 512-475-9400.
For step by step instructions, click here.
- Frequently Asked Questions
When is the 2016 Subiendo Academy? How much does it cost?
What does Subiendo look for in an applicant?
The 2016 Subiendo Academy will take place on the University of Texas campus in Austin from June 12-16. Students attend at no cost to themselves or their families. Travel Scholarships are available to help those who need assistance getting to and from Austin.
The ideal Subiendo candidate is a leader among one's peers and active in the community in a variety of ways. First generation students are encouraged to apply. Applicants are evaluated on academic performance, potential for leadership, answers to essay questions and a teacher recommendation.
What can students expect to learn at Subiendo?
Subiendo students attend an intensive five-day leadership workshop. They will learn about the importance of networking and communicating their ideas. They will work in groups to create a solution to an issue facing Texas and present their project. Students will also learn about career and college opportunities and will leave better prepared to tackle their senior year of high school.
Where will students stay? Do they have to attend the entire Academy?
Subiendo students stay in a dormitory on the University of Texas campus. Students are expected to attend the Academy in its entirety.
Do you have any advice for completing the application?
You will need two essays, so be sure to have others proofread your work. You will need to submit an unofficial transcript and a letter of recommendation.
Where do students apply?
The application is available online at http://subiendoacademy.org
. For more information or for help you may email Subiendo@austin.utexas.edu
or call 512-232-6778.
Mailing Address: Subiendo Academy, 2110 Speedway, B6100, Austin, TX 78705