The Jon Brumley Texas Venture Labs (TVL) is a start-up accelerator that connects local start-up companies with talented and entrepreneurial graduate students from the MBA, Law, Engineering, and Natural Sciences programs. These students participate in semester-long projects solving important problems alongside the company’s founders.
What we do:
TVL’s mission is to accelerate commercialization at the University of Texas and in central Texas. Since 2010, TVL has worked with over 50 companies across a range of industries including clean-tech, life-sciences, consumer products, and technology. More than 40 percent of the companies we've worked with have gone on to raise venture investments. The industry average is less than 10 percent. We've raised more than $37 million dollars in just the last two years.
Where you fit in:
If admitted to the program, you'll join a team of four to six students working closely with two start-up companies to make an immediate and direct impact on the company’s development. You'll focus on projects that include elements of market validation, competitive analysis, financial analysis, business model assessment, and funding guidance. Previous projects have included identifying and sizing new markets for a fiber-optic sensing platform, and developing a models for marketing costs incurred by a new consumer packaged goods company.
We are currently looking for students to join the class during the Fall of 2013. Recruiting will begin in early February and will run through April. An outline of the major milestones in the process is included below.
- Step 1: Register your intent and submit a resume and cover letter online no later than February 27
- Step 2: Complete a business case analysis -- case assigned on February 27 and due on March 8
- Step 3: Interview with current TVL Principals and Venture Partners -- held March 18-22
- Step 4: Work with your fellow applicants to refine and present your business case analysis -- teams to be assigned on March 15
Acceptance decisions will be communicated on April 3, 2013.
Please email us or review a recent syllabus.
You can also attend one of our informational sessions. They'll be held between February 11, 2013 and February 22, 2013. Below you will find a list of those info sessions which have already been scheduled.
- February 12 at 5:30 p.m. in RLM 5.116
- February 13 at 6:00 p.m. in the Legacy Events Room, CBA 3.202
- February 19 at 5:00 p.m. in ENS 314
- February 20 at 5:00 p.m. in ETC 4.120
- February 20 at 12:00 p.m. in TNH 2.123
- February 21 at 5:00 p.m. in CPE 2.222
Ready to apply?
You may begin your application below. We're looking forward to reviewing
Apply to join the TVL Accelerator as a Student