MIS faculty visit Whaton, Temple, Arizona
IROM faculty visited three MIS programs to learn how their programs are structured. Sirkka Jarvenpaa, Katie Gray, and Joshua Rock visited The University of Pennsylvania's Wharton MIS program as well as the MIS program at Temple University. Sirkka, Katie, Joshua, Edward Doan, and Clint Tuttle separately also visited The University of Arizona's Eller MIS program. The trips allowed for collaboration and idea sharing on what works best across the programs. The feedback has been shared with the McCombs IROM undergraduate faculty as well as the McCombs MIS Advisory Council.
Some ideas that worked well at other schools include:
- Promoting MIS as an elite major with a named scholar program that students applied for. Selected students participated in a cohort-based program that introduced them to information technology in greater depth based on various organized activities and excursions.
- Allowing students with an interest in MIS to meet with MIS faculty in an informal setting to learn more about the major and opportunities in the field.
- Having excursions to local companies for students to get first hand exposure to information technology operations at a company.
- Having an MIS Research Faculty Day where research faculty shared a high level overview of their research with students to help them understand upcoming issues in this area.
- Using professional grade tools.
- Expanding beyond a Wintel environment.