Plan on Traveling Abroad and Need a Passport? Join us on Passport Day!
The BBA International Programs office is hosting Passport Day to apply for or renew passports. We will have U.S. Passport Acceptance Agents to process the passport applications, on-site passport photo services and extra forms and information. Everything you need to provide is listed below. Bring all your completed paperwork for fastest service, but the required forms will also be available on-site.
- Completed application form you can print at http://travel.state.gov/passport/forms/ds11/ds11_842.html.
- Proof of U.S. Citizenship (choose one of the following):
- Previously issued, undamaged, valid U.S. Passport
- Certified Birth Certificate issued by the city, county or state
- Consular Report of Birth Abroad or Certification of Birth
- Certificate of Naturalization or Citizenship
- Verification of your Identity (choose one of the following):
- Previously issued, undamaged, valid U.S. passport
- Naturalization Certificate
- Valid Driver’s License
- Current Government or Military ID
- Two identical passport photos, or $10 to have them taken on-site.
- If you bring your own photos they must be:
- Color, 2x2 inches in size
- Taken in the past 6 months
- Full-face, front view with plain white or off-white background
- Normal street attire, no hats
- Passport Fees: Pay with checks (preferred), or money orders only. Please note you need to make two separate payments!
- Passport Application Fee: $110.00 ($80 for applicants under the age of 16) payable to U.S. Department of State
- Execution Fee: $25.00, or $35.00 if taking on-site photo, payable to The University of Texas at Austin.
Total = $135, or $145 if using on-site photo service. Routine Passport Processing Time is approximately 4-6 weeks.
Optional Services with additional fees:
- Expedited Processing: passport will be received in approximately 2-3 weeks - Cost is $170.00 ($140 for applicants under the age of 16)
- Overnight return Delivery Service of Passport: $12.85 payable to U.S. Department of State
- Passport Card: $30 fee payable to U.S. Department of State
Questions about passport requirements?
Email firstname.lastname@example.org, visit the UT Passport Office website at http://www.utexas.edu/international/passport or call 512-232-5899.
Questions about Passport Day?
Email BBAInternationalPrograms@mccombs.utexas.edu or call 512-471-0690.
Study Abroad Photo Contest
Photo Contest Rules:
The deadline for submission for the Fall 2012 Photo Contest is October 1st, 2012 at 11:59 p.m.
1. Two contest cycles per academic year:
- Fall students are one cycle
- Spring and summer students are grouped as one cycle
2. One entry per student, per cycle:
- Example 1: Fall 2011 student goes to Copenhagen – may submit one entry
- Example 2: Fall 2011 through Spring 2012 student goes to Paris – may submit two entries
- Example 3: Fall 2011 through Spring 2012 student goes to Vienna then Otago – may submit two entries
- Example 4: Summer 2011 student goes to BI Norway – may submit one entry
3. If needed, photo submissions will be narrowed down to 32 semi-finalist entries by the BBA International Programs staff. The top 32 submissions will be featured on our Photo Contest website, and all entries will be visible on our Flickr account.
4. All photo contest entries must be submitted to the BBA International Programs’ Flickr account. Each semester’s photo contest will have a separate folder set up for students to submit their photos and caption information. Returning BBA exchange students will be notified of the username and password to access and upload to the Flickr account.
5. Must be an original photo taken by the student and not edited using any software. We would like real pictures, please!
6. Agreement for release of information and permission for reprint:
By submitting your photo electronically via Flickr or physically, you are granting BBA International Programs the permission to publicly post, reprint, and release your name (along with other information accompanying your submission).
7. Closing dates for submissions:
- Fall Cycle: March 1st in the following semester upon return
- Example: Study abroad Fall of 2010, submission deadline: March 1st of 2011
- Summer and Spring Cycle: October 1st in the following semester upon return
- Example: Study abroad Summer of 2011, submission deadline: October 1st of 2011
- Example: Study abroad Spring of 2011, submission deadline: October 1st of 2011
8. Submission should include the information below. Important: When submitting this information, please follow the format shown in the Flickr upload instructions that will be emailed to returning students.
- Your Name
- Title/Caption of Photo (Be creative!)
- Where the photo was actually taken
- Your Foreign Institution and semester of exchange
- Small blurb about your experience
Study Abroad Fair
Each year, the BBA International Programs Office coordinates its annual Study Abroad Fair to showcase its partner universities and study abroad opportunities. This is a great way for prospective study abroad students to talk to returning study abroad students as well as current international exchange students about what it is like to live and study abroad.
"After spending an amazing semester in Vienna, I was so thankful for my experiences that I wanted to encourage as many students as possible to study abroad. As a global ambassador, I was able to share my enthusiasm about studying abroad with other students by answering their questions and confirming their beliefs that studying abroad is one of the best opportunities available to undergraduate to add value to their degree."
- MacKenzie Seale | Fall '10 study abroad student
The Global Ambassador Program invites returning study abroad students and current international exchange students to help promote study abroad by speaking to prospective study abroad students about what it is like to live and study overseas. By sharing your personal experiences of living in or being from another country, we hope that many more students will go on exchange and immerse themselves in new and fascinating cultures around the world!
Return Study Abroad Students - This is a great opportunity for current McCombs students to hear firsthand about your study abroad experience and for you to talk about what it’s like to live and study overseas, share any interesting cultural observations about your host country, provide words of advice (student life, travel, classes), and encourage students to also study abroad while at UT!
International Exchange Students - This is a great opportunity for current McCombs students to hear firsthand about what it’s like to live in your country and study at your institution. We encourage you to share any interesting cultural observations about the US and your host country, provide words of advice (student life, travel, classes), and encourage our students to also study abroad in your country!
Based on the student's availability, Global Ambassadors are asked to participate in at least 2 to 3 promotional events during the semester. Events may include speaking at study abroad information sessions, student organization presentations, Freshmen Interest Group (FIG) classes, freshmen recruiting events, K-4th grade outreach programs, or Family Weekend.
Become an Ambassador
Interested students should email BBAInternationalPrograms@mccombs.utexas.edu to join the program.
The Buddy Program matches up international exchange students to UT students who have either recently returned from studying abroad or will be studying abroad the following semester at our partner schools. This is a great way to meet new friends, practice English or a foreign language, share advice on life in the U.S. and overseas, and network with students equally interested in international travel.
To encourage greater interaction and networking among UT and international students, students participating in the Buddy Program will be assigned a "family group" comprised of at least 2 UT students and international students. We encourage family groups to get together at least twice a month throughout the semester.
How to Join
To become a buddy, interested students will sign up on a web form by the deadline; information is posted on the BBA International Programs facebook page. If the sign-up time has passed, interested students can email BBAInternationalPrograms@mccombs.utexas.edu to find out if there is still availability to participate.
Calendar of Events
A meet and greet reception and a farewell event are coordinated by the BBA International Program office each semester. We encourage all students participating in the Buddy Program to attend these events in addition to meeting with their family groups several times throughout the semester.
Things To Do Around Town
To expose the international exchange students to true Austin food and culture, we've compiled a list of fun things to do in and around Austin each month.
International Education Week: November 14 - 18, 2011
Each November, the University of Texas at Austin celebrates International Education Week (IEW), a campus-wide event that brings together the UT community of students, faculty and staff to participate in a variety of fun, informative and culturally-rich events. Join UT this year to collectively help to promote and celebrate study abroad and cross-cultural exchanges! To see a schedule of events for this year's International Education Week, visit http://utiew.wordpress.com.
Join the UT Austin International Education Week Facebook Group