Freshman Application Checklist
Priority deadline - October 15, 2014 | Final deadline - Dec. 1, 2014
How to Apply
You must submit applications to the Business Honors Program through the ApplyTexas application and the supplemental Online Honors Application. All applicants must complete both applications to be considered for admission. BHP applicants must choose "Unspecified Business" (200400) as their first choice major on the ApplyTexas application to be considered for admission to the BHP. You can find the the complete application requirements in the checklist below.
Note: Admission to UT Austin and/or the McCombs School of Business does not guarantee admission to the Business Honors Program. We will mail notification of admission to the BHP independently of the UT admissions decision prior to March 15. Freshmen are admitted to the BHP only for the fall semester.
The following criteria are used in selecting candidates for freshman acceptance to BHP:
- High school class rank and transcript
- Evidence of extracurricular involvement and leadership skills
- Note: As the academic achievements of the applicant pool improve, leadership has become increasingly important as an admissions criterion
- SAT/ACT scores
- Essays C from the ApplyTexas Application and choice of essay A, B, or S
- Professional Resume
- One letter of recommendation (electronic)
- Phone interview with a BHP alumnus (by invitation only)
All materials are sent to UT Admissions where they are processed and routed to the appropriate college or program. UT Admissions will NOT route applications to the BHP Office until the application is complete.
Students who complete their application on or before October 15 will be read first by the admissions committee. This first group of applicants will receive communication before the regular decision pool. Students who applied by the early deadline will be evaluated under the same criteria as students who have applied by the regular deadline of December 1. The possibility of admission will neither be negatively or positively influenced because the file was submitted under the early deadline. The benefit to apply by the early deadline is earlier notification of the status of your application.
If admitted, this is a non-binding admissions decision. Students will not be required to enroll in UT, McCombs, or BHP.
BHP has a limited number of merit-based scholarships to award each year. Every BHP applicant will be considered for these scholarships. There is no separate application for BHP scholarships.
There are scholarships available through the Texas Exes for entering freshmen. You must apply for these scholarships by December 1 through the Texas Exes website. Applicants interested in the Forty Acres Scholars Program must select to apply for that program and write an additional essay. There is not an option to apply for Texas Exes scholarships on the ApplyTexas application. Students must fill out the separate Texas Exes application in order to be considered for one of their scholarships.
The Application Detailed Checklist
To view requirements for all honors programs at the University of Texas, please visit the Special Instructions for Honors on the BeaLonghorn Web site.
- Submit your completed ApplyTexas Application.
- The ApplyTexas Application is used to determine admission eligibility to the University of Texas at Austin and the McCombs School of Business.
- Note: BHP applicants must choose "Unspecified Business" (200400) as their first choice major.
|Supplemental Information Form
- Online form through MyStatus after submitting ApplyTexas app.
- Not required for 2014 applicants.
|Online Honors Application
- The Honors Application is a supplement to the ApplyTexas Application and will be made available to you online after you complete the ApplyTexas Application with Unspecified Business listed as your first choice major.
- BHP applicants are required to answer two essays as part of the ApplyTexas Application. We suggest you write and edit your essay responses in Word (or similar application) and then copy and paste the text into the application. There are no editing functions within the online application.
- Provide a detailed business-style resume which includes memberships in clubs and organizations, positions of leadership, academic honors, extracurricular activities and employment. Provide an estimate of how much time you spent on each activity (hours per week/weeks per year.)
- Note: resumes will be distributed to a BHP alumnus if the applicant is selected for an interview.
|Official High School Transcript
- An official transcript includes the school's official seal, the signature of a school official, your class rank and size, and your high school coursework.
- Copies and faxes do not satisfy this requirement.
- If your high school does not rank class members, include a statement from your school stating its policy, a copy of your school's profile, and a grade distribution.
- Have official SAT or ACT scores sent directly to UT Austin from the testing agency (scores on transcripts and student score reports don't fulfill this requirement).
- Learn more about testing and test scores.
|Letter of Recommendation
- The Business Honors Program requires all applicants to submit one letter of recommendation.
- The recommendation letter must be from an academic source (teacher, professor, etc).
- All recommendation letters must be submitted using our online recommendation system.
- Interviews are conducted on an invitation only basis and are not available upon request.
- The BHP will contact qualified applicants between October and March to set up interviews.
- All applicants are required to subscribe to a mandated honor code.
|Non-refundable $75 application processing fee
- Online payment preferred; pay by credit card (MasterCard or Visa) if paid while applying online.
- Some students are eligible for a fee exemption.
|Additional Requirements (if applicable)
- Special Circumstances that might need to be considered such as socioeconomic status, family responsibilities, single parent home, etc. More info.
- International students who qualify for Texas residency: submit a complete copy of the Residency Affidavit.
- Resident aliens: submit a photocopy of both sides of your permanent resident card.
- Home-schooled students: submit any other credentials that reflect your academic potential (such as SAT subject test scores or dual credit coursework).
- Completed college coursework while in high school: submit official transcripts of the credit issued by the college or university.