Texas Venture Labs Practicum I & II
Jon Brumley Texas Venture Labs (TVL) is an accelerator that connects local startup companies with talented and entrepreneurial graduate students from the MBA, Law, Engineering, Pharmacy, and Natural Sciences programs at the University of Texas. These students participate in semester-long consulting projects solving important problems alongside the company’s founders.
Examples of previous consulting projects:
- Market validation: Worked with life sciences firm to research three potential applications for their product, ultimately determining that one was viable and two were not.
- Business model assessment: Examined the marketability of a social media platform and worked with them to shift to a data-based business model.
- Financial analysis: Helped a custom music instrument company get their statements in order and analyze the information to validate their pricing model.
- Funding guidance: Assisted a grocery delivery service in identifying their 5-year growth potential based on different funding options (VC, Angel, Loans, Bootstrap).
- Competitive analysis: Looked into competitors and substitutes for a software company and found that they did not provide enough differentiation to gain funding.
What we do:
Texas Venture Labs students provide research and consulting to local startups on their most pressing challenges in order to:
- Accelerate startups in taking their products to market and making a funding decision
- Give graduate students real-world startup experience
Where you fit in:
If admitted to the program, you'll join a team of five or six students working closely with two startup companies to make an immediate and direct impact on the companies’ development.
You will learn about market validation, competitive analysis, financial analysis, business model assessment, and funding guidance from professors and entrepreneurs, and then apply these skills on projects for the companies.
Previous projects have included identifying and sizing new markets for a fiber-optic sensing platform, and developing a model for marketing costs incurred by a new consumer packaged goods company.
Currently enrolled graduate students may now apply to be part of the Fall 2014 TVL Practicum:
- Submit your resume and cover letter by February 21, 2014, 5pm
- Analyze a business plan (provided) by February 28, 2014, 5pm
- Interview with TVL staff by March 21, 2014
- Work with group to analyze and present business plan. Presentations are March 26, 2014, 5pm-9pm
- Selections communicated: April 2, 2014
Please review a recent syllabus, watch our informational video, or email us. Visit our office hours Wednesdays at 12:30 p.m. in the AT&T Conference Center One Twenty 5 Cafe.