MPA Career Services
Students in the MPA program are highly sought after by a wide range of employers. In fact, The University of Texas is a national recruiting school for many companies. Many public accounting firms (international, regional and local) typically hire more students from The University of Texas than any other university in the country. Fortune 500 companies also recruit MPA students and an increasing number of students are choosing corporate careers. Finally, the governmental and not-for-profit sector is keenly interested in attracting the graduates of the MPA program. Their presence has provided students with other exciting opportunities upon graduation.
A resource for both employers and students, MPA Career Services offers students access to one-on-one career consultations, a well-rounded career curriculum, and a wide array of print and online career resources. Interviews are conducted in the McCombs interview suites, where students meet their prospective employers in an attractive, comfortable, and professional space.
In addition to the consulting services provided by MPA Career Services, faculty representatives for the individual tracks are also excellent resources for job possibilities relating to their areas of expertise.
For traditional MPA students, the recruiting process starts very early. The first career events take place during Orientation, and interviews begin in early September. Students pursuing the traditional approach to the MPA should be aware that the first fall semester in the program can be intense, as it is the heaviest recruiting period for this population.
The MPA International Connection program offers additional resources for international students, including access to MIC Volunteers and round-table meetings held throughout the year that target the unique needs of international job seekers.
Texas MPA Career Services Strategic Plan:
Texas MPA Career Services aims to be the leader in innovative and comprehensive career services to students and employers. We are committed to delivering superior services that will advance the missions of the Texas MPA program, McCombs School of Business and The University of Texas at Austin.
We believe that:
- Students should have diverse career options so that they can research and evaluate all choices in order to make meaningful career decisions.
- Career education is an important component in producing quality, committed professionals who are intelligent about the employment market.
- The key to delivering quality career education to students is to recruit, develop, and retain quality staff.
- Quality career education should address the unique career interests and needs of each student.
- Employers should have equitable opportunities to recruit students.
Our mission is to bridge the academic and career education of Texas MPA students by:
- Developing resources to provide life-long career skills and knowledge.
- Empowering students with career resources.
- Fostering a culture of student ownership in career decision-making.
- Implementing practices and policies that uphold high ethical and professional standards for students and employers.
Our 2012-2014 goals for providing quality career education are:
- Students will become self-directed learners in their career education by developing intelligence on the career market for the MPA degree.
- MPA Career Services will foster deep relationships with employers from a variety of fields and practices in order to maintain and create career options for students.
- Students will strengthen professional, communication, interpersonal, and career decision-making skills.