Private Equity Finance
The Department of Finance has developed a multi-disciplinary curriculum in the area of private equity finance. This curriculum covers a broad spectrum of private equity investments, including early- and later-stage venture investing, investing in established private firms, buyouts, financial restructuring of distressed firms and private equity financing by public firms. The concentration prepares students for careers with investors in private equity funds, private equity fund managers, issuers of private equity securities, and other important participants in the private equity market such as commercial banks, investment banks and other investment advisors. The concentration is supported by the Hicks, Muse, Tate & Furst Center for Private Equity Finance. For more information about the private equity finance concentration and the Hicks, Muse, Tate & Furst Center for Private Equity Finance go to the Center’s website.
- FIN 286 - Valuation (flexible-core)
- ACC 287 - Performance Management and Control (flexible-core)
- FIN 394.1 - Advanced Topics in Corporate Finance
- FIN 397.1 - Investment Theory & Practice
- FIN 394.2 - Financial Strategies (Private Equity)
- FIN 394.2 - Financial Strategies (Raising Capital)
- FIN 390.1 - Financial Markets and Institutions
Students should complete FIN 394.1 and FIN 397.1 in the spring semester of their first year in the MBA program. Along with FIN 286, most remaining Finance electives have these three course as prerequisites.
- ACC 380K.7 - Financial Statement Analysis
- MAN 385 - Entrepreneurial Management
- MAN 385 - Opportunity Identification and Analysis
- MAN 283 - Leading People & Organizations
- MAN 383 - Art & Science of Negotiation
Additional courses may be approved on a course-by-course basis.
Total credit hours: 19
Faculty Contact: Robert Parrino
Hands-on experiences complement, extend and continually refine classroom curriculum. Texas MBAs have an array of opportunities to experience hands-on learning, some of which are listed below:
Student organizations open the doors to relationships, leadership development, professional growth, increased understanding and just plain fun. Below are some student organizations you may wish to consider as you look to tailor your Texas MBA experience:
Possible Career Paths
- Equity Analyst Associate
- Investment Banking Associate
- Mergers and Acquisitions Associate
- Private Equity Associate
- Venture Capital Associate
For more information on career opportunities, visit our Career Management web page.