Jim Franklin, Director
Jim earned a Bachelor of Science in Economics from The Wharton School, and is a proud 1993 Texas MPA graduate. He holds dual CPA certifications in Texas and California. His professional experience includes roles with RJR/Nabisco, Deloitte and the U.S. Department of the Treasury-Internal Revenue Service.
As the Director of the MPA program and career services, Jim represents Career Services to various university and employer audiences. He provides general oversight of the department's career development and employer relations programs.
- Coordinates the Accounting Careers Exploration (ACC 151) course
- Serves as the primary contact for employer collaboration with accounting faculty
- Assists in managing employer relationships
Vinh Nguyen, Assistant Director, MPA Career Services
Vinh joined the McCombs School of Business in 2004 to help start up MPA Career Services. Prior to McCombs, he worked with the American Red Cross of Central Texas as its director for volunteer services and with Motorola as a college recruiter on its Global University Relations.
Vinh is a Certified Professional Résumé Writer (Professional Association of Résumé Writers); a Certified Mediator (University of Texas at Austin) pursuant to Texas Chapter 154.052 (90-hours of Conflict Resolution Training: 40-hour of Basic Course in Mediation; Advanced Training in Meditation; Basic Course in Group Facilitation, and Dialogue Training); and a Certified Corporate Etiquette & International Protocol Consultant (Protocol School of Washington) with competencies in Dine Like a Diplomat, Outclass the Competition—Business Etiquette & Dining Skills, and How to Succeed in the International Arena:
Vinh applies his passion, education, and experience to:
- Consult students on career strategies (i.e. career exploration, interviewing, navigating the workplace, offer evaluation and negotiation).
- Coordinate student and full-time staff on delivering workshops and events, including Networking Reception, Mock Interview Marathon, and Industry Night.
- Present trainings in the Accounting Careers Exploration course (ACC 151).
- Provide guidance to MPA Council officers.
- Advise employers on recruiting strategies.
In 2008, Vinh was awarded the McCombs’ Staff Excellence Award for Outstanding Service to Constituents. Vinh holds degrees (Bachelor of Arts in Philosophy, 1999, and Rhetoric & Writing, 2010; Master of Education in Higher Education Administration with a focus in Dispute Resolution, 2013) from the University of Texas at Austin.
Schedule an appointment with Vinh.
Michelle Polkinghorn, Senior Career Consultant
Since 2004, Michelle has helped Texas MPA students explore career options and navigate the job search. She holds a Master of Education in Counseling and Guidance with an emphasis in Student Affairs and a Bachelor of Science in Psychology. Michelle is certified by the Protocol School of Washington as a Corporate Etiquette and International Protocol Consultant, and is recognized by the Professional Association of Résumé Writers and Career Coaches as a Certified Professional Résumé Writer. In 2012, Michelle was awarded the McCombs School of Business Staff Excellence Award for Outstanding Service to Constituents. Her skills and training enable her to:
- Partner with students through the career exploration and job search processes
- Design, coordinate, and present career workshops and events such as the Career Fair, Meet the Firms, Etiquette Dinner, and Outclass the Competition
- Present career concepts in the Accounting Careers Exploration course (ACC 151)
- Oversee the MPA Career Consulting Practicum and Peer Career Consulting programs
- Consult with employers to maximize their recruiting efforts
- Develop career resources delivered via web, video, and print media
Schedule an appointment with Michelle.
Dawn Shaw, Career Consultant
Dawn is a talented experienced professional who has worked as a Career Coach with The University of Texas at Austin in the College of Natural Sciences. She also has experience as a Learning Designer in industry and has coached private clients in her own business. She has worked at the C.T. Bauer College of Business at the University of Houston coaching and advising business students, integrating student-oriented technologies, and helping to develop leadership initiatives in the college.
Dawn holds a Master of Science degree in Human Resource Development from the University of Houston and a Bachelor of Arts in Psychology from the Metropolitan State College of Denver, as well as, a certification in Strengths Performance Leadership through the Gallup Organization.
Dawn team with MPA Career Services staff to:
- Coach students on job search skills, interviews, help prepare for recruiting, and partner with students on how to navigate offers
- Develop, deliver, and assess presentations and workshops including the Accounting Career Exploration class
- Events such as Mock Interview Marathon, Industry Internship Program, Orientation, Resume Writing and Resume Books, Speed-Networking, MPA Career Fair, Meet the Firms, and Etiquette Dinners
Schedule an appointment with Dawn.
Kelly Ayers, Peer Career Consultant
Kelly’s office hours:
Monday: 9:30 – 11 a.m.
Tuesday: 11 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
Wednesday: 11:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m.
Thursday: 11 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
Courtney Crosby, Peer Career Consultant
Courtney’s office hours:
Monday: 12:00 p.m. – 1:30 p.m.
Wednesday: 10:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
Friday: 9:30 – 11:30 a.m.
Shaan Patel, Career Consultant Assistant
Rebecca Pickert, Career Consultant Assistant
Jenny Tseng, Career Consultant Assistant
Ashley Wallace, Career Consultant Assistant
MPA Mock Interview Marathon
McCombs Global Career Fair
MPA Industry Internship Program