The Graduate Select Admission Program enables outstanding UT undergrads to complete twelve hours of coursework toward a graduate degree during their senior year. Students who complete the ECON-MPA curriculum earn a B.A. degree in Economics and a Master in Professional Accounting (MPA) degree. Benefits of this path include, but are not limited to:
- Waiver of the application and transcript fees associated with graduate school admissions
- Waiver of the GMAT score requirement
- Reduction in the length of time required to earn an MPA degree
- Payment of the reserved graduate accounting credit at undergraduate tuition rates
Benefits of the Program
MPA students interact with professionals in the field through the MPA Distinguished Speaker Lyceum, receptions, team competitions, workshops and internships. The program also offers study abroad opportunities to prepare students for the global focus of today’s business world.
Our MPA graduates are heavily recruited; most students accept a job offer before graduating.
To apply to be nominated for the ECON-MPA via the Graduate Select Admission program, you will need to complete the following steps:
- Complete the ECON-MPA pre-enrollment requirements.
- Make sure you have met the following criteria:
- a minimum 3.5 grade point average based on all courses taken at The University of Texas at Austin.
- a minimum 3.5 grade point average based on economics courses taken at The University of Texas at Austin.
- senior standing (90 or more hours) prior to summer admission.
- For International Applicants:
English skills are essential for success in the MPA program, and your official scores for either the Internet-based TOEFL or IELTS must be on your UT record prior to the application deadline (even if you were allowed to waive the TOEFL or IELTS for admission to UT Austin).
Applicants from countries recognized by the GIAC as English-only speaking countries are allowed to waive this requirement. Our preferred minimum for the TOEFL is 105 overall, with a minimum of 24 for each individual section, or a minimum band score of 7.5 for the IELTS. If your previously-submitted test scores do not accurately reflect your current English proficiency, we strongly recommend that you retake the test and increase your scores.
3. Explore our tracks. The Texas MPA provides students the opportunity to develop specialized expertise in one of four tracks. Your advisor will discuss your goals with you and help you choose a track; the MPA program also offers an Accounting Careers Exploration Class (ACC 151) that examines several different career areas as they relate to tracks.
4. Submit your application to be nominated for Graduate Select Admission to the MPA Program Office in the McCombs School of Business in the spring of your junior year. Admission to the ECON-MPA is for the summer semester only. The application deadline is April 1.
5. Include an essay, resume, and three recommendation letters with your application packet (see the application for the details). Recommendations will be accepted only from tenure-track faculty or senior lecturers at UT-Austin.
6. Wait for a decision. Your application materials will be reviewed by the MPA admissions committee. If your application is selected for nomination, you will be notified, and your materials will be forwarded to UT's Graduate School for final selection. The Graduate School notifies those students who are accepted into the Graduate Select Admission program in mid-May.
Please note that ECON-MPA admissions are competitive and limited to program capacity. Satisfying the above minimum requirements above does not guarantee nomination for Graduate Select Admission to the ECON-MPA. Your final steps before school begins will be covered in your week-long mandatory orientation and in your initial advising appointment.