Interact with Prominent Professionals
Each fall, leaders in public accounting, industry, standard setting, the federal government and academia address Texas MPA students as part of the MPA Distinguished Speaker Lyceum.
Presentations cover hot topics such as international standards, progressive businesses, tax reform and policy, and the future of the accounting profession. You’ll have the chance to interact face-to-face with the speakers through question and answer sessions and at receptions that follow each presentations. You’ll gain real-world insight on current business trends that takes you far beyond the classroom.
All lectures will take place from 5:10 p.m. to 6:10 p.m. in the University Teaching Center, across the street from the McCombs School of Business. It's not too late to catch the last few speakers:
- Executive Director, UT Semester in LA Program
- 20-year veteran of the motion picture, television, and theater
- Actor, director, stage manager, production manager, producer, and studio executive,
- Including 15 years with The Walt Disney in all aspects of pre-production and production on among other pictures big hits, such as Armageddon, Remember the Titans, and The Princess Diaries.
- Lectures and seminars including, for example:
- Carnegie Mellon, Duke, UNC Chapel Hill, NC State, California Institute of the Arts, USC, UCLA, Guanajuato International Film Festival, Cannes Film Festival American Pavilion Summer Intensive, Las Vegas Screenwriters Conference, and the Hollywood Film Festival, etc.
- Author, Get a Reel Job
Ms. Mahala Guevara
- Director of Finance for Ballroom Marfa, Member of Marfa Independent School Board, Adjunct at Sul Ross University
- Undergraduate Degrees(UT)- Latin American Studies & Economics
- Liberal Arts Honors, Highest Honors in Economics for thesis: The Political Economy of Water Management in Texas
- After a hiatus from school, she entered the MPA program, interned with Lower Colorado River Authority, and graduated in August 2012
- Mahala & her family moved to Marfa, Texas, where she worked in public accounting for Skinner & Lara, P.C.
- After 15 months, Mahala moved on to become a Controller at Big Bend Brewing and a sole practitioner.
- Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, Deloitte Tax LLP
- Leadership responsibility for nearly 9,000 professionals across the U.S. and India
- Serves as a member of Deloitte’s U.S. Executive Committee & as an advisory partner for several of Deloitte’s largest clients
- Collaborated leadership team to anticipate market changes; understand client needs; innovate and deliver quality professional services; and attract, develop and retain a team of high-performing professionals.
- Completed more than 65 marathons and two ultra marathons and received the inaugural Mayor Richard M. and Maggie Daley Award.
- Board member for the Imerman Angels and a member of the Advisory Committee for the New Era Pinstripe Bowl
- CPA in Indiana and Illinois- Bachelors degree from Butler University
- Professional Speaker
- Hired as an accountant in 1996 by Dynegy. At the age of 28, Helen was the lowest-level employee on a $300 million structured finance transaction team called Project Alpha
- The SEC launched an investigation of Project Alpha, followed by criminal charges brought by the Justice Department against three employees, including Helen. In August 2003, Helen pled guilty to one count of conspiracy to commit securities fraud.
- Today, Helen speaks about her experiences, including her excitement when she landed her “dream job” at Dynegy, only to be followed by dismay when she began to doubt the ethics of what they were doing.
- Previous University of Texas Head Football Coach for 16 seasons
- Mark at Texas of 158-48 (.767), the 2008 Bobby Dodd National Coach of the Year and the 2009 Big 12 Coach of the Year
- 2005 Paul W. “Bear” Bryant National Coach of the Year & coach of the 2005 BCS National Champions
- One of a handful of coaches in the history of college football to lead two separate programs to a top five national finish
- Prior to Brown’s arrival in 1998, the last time Texas had finished the year in the top 10 was 1983
- In addition, from 1998-2013, Texas led the nation in all-time appearances in the BCS rankings with 103, ahead of both Oklahoma (100) and Florida (92)
- Mack Brown emphasized maintaining a high level of achievement in the classroom and in the community.
- Member of the Public Company Accounting Oversight Board
- Prior to joining the Board, Ms. Franzel served for almost 23 years at the Government Accountability Office
- She ended her tenure at the GAO as a Managing Director
- 2008-2011, Ms. Franzel's team performed oversight of the U.S. government's efforts to help stabilize the financial markets and promote economic recovery
- 2003-2012, Ms. Franzel oversaw the periodic updating and issuing of GAO's Government Auditing Standards
- In 2011, Ms. Franzel received the GAO's Distinguished Service Award and the AICPA's Outstanding CPA in Government Award.
- In 2010, she received the International Achievement Award from the Association of Government Accountants.