MSTC Application Instructions
The application process for the MSTC Class of 2014 is closed.
The application process will open in September for the class of 2015.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or concerns.
The MSTC Admissions Committee reviews applications on an individual basis looking at all aspects of the applicant's professional and academic background. The committee seeks to assess an individual's passion for technology commercialization and/or entrepreneurship.
The Texas MSTC admissions committee carefully considers each completed application, with particular attention to personal essays, work history, post-MSTC goals, undergraduate performance, letters of recommendation and test scores. All of these components are considered holistically; no specific weight is assigned to any criterion and no formulas are used.
Please carefully review the steps below before proceeding with your Texas MSTC application. It is extremely important to use the same version/format/spelling of your official name throughout the application process. You may download a printable copy of the Application Instructions. It is recommended that you start the online application even if you have not yet taken the GMAT/GRE tests, You may send in the test scores at a later date (before the admissions deadline).
Deferred Applicants or Reapplying to the Program:If you applied to the MSTC Program last year, you will need to complete the readmission application through the Graduate and International Admissions Center (GIAC). Instructions on reapplying and the online form can be found on the Graduate Readmission site.
Step 1. Submit the online Texas MSTC application
Within the online application you will need to submit the following:
• Privacy Waive: You have the option to waive your right of access to the letters of recommendation.
Your recommenders will be notified as to which option you chose.
• Sending the Recommendation Request: Enter the recommender contact information in the online application.
Click the "save and continue button". This will email and prompt your recommender to complete a referral form.
• Resending Recommendation emails: If you need to resend a request to a recommender, you can
go back into your MSTC application on Symplicity. Click the button "Resend Recommender Emails".
- Visa Information (for International Applicants only)
- Essays: Submit two essays in the online application. You have the option to enter the essays in a text box or upload them as a word or pdf file. The maximum length for the essays is 900 words, but the recommended amount is 500 words.
• Describe how your experiences, both personal and professional, have led you to pursue the MSTC degree.
• What are your short and long term goals and how will the Texas MSTC degree help you achieve them?
- Departmental Questions: Includes your preferred "Method of Attendance:, "Area of Interest", and if you are interested in pursuing an internship if admitted.
- Certification of Information
Step 2. Pay application fee to GIAC
An email will be sent prompting you to pay the application fee within ten business days after the online application is submitted. This amount will be invoiced through "What I Owe" and may or may not be invoiced at the same time as the application.
• U.S. application fee is $65.
• International application fee is $90.
• An additional $10 fee will be assessed for applicants who have previously attended
The University of Texas at Austin.
• Applications will not be processed until the fee is paid.
Please visit the "Paying your fee" section of the Graduate and International Admissions Center (GIAC) website for information on how to pay your application fee.
Step 3. Submit Supporting Materials to the Graduate and International Admissions Center (GIAC)
Once you have submitted your application and paid the application fee, you are required to submit the following to the Graduate and International Admissions Center (GIAC):
- Submit OFFICIAL transcripts to GIACPlease Note: This submission is separate from the scanned copy provided on the application. GIAC requires an official submission through their website.
Official transcripts must be sent to the Graduate and International Admissions Center (GIAC). You must upload one copy of the official academic transcript from every senior college you have attended. Transcripts are not required from junior colleges and community colleges. Please visit the “Submit transcripts to GIAC” section on the Graduate and International Admissions Center (GIAC) website for information. Once admitted into the MSTC Program, you will be asked to present the original transcripts to GIAC. Please review this important information regarding transcript submission.
- Submit OFFICIAL GMAT or GRE Score to GIAC
Applicants are required to submit GRE or GMAT scores as part of their application. Official GMAT/GRE Scores must be sent electronically to the Graduate and International Admissions Center (GIAC) directly from the testing agency. Test scores are received by the University approximately four to six weeks after taking the test. The University MUST be designated as a score recipient at the time of testing. Only test scores sent directly from the testing center are considered official.
GRE school code for The University of Texas at Austin is 6882
GMAT school code for MSTC is 396-44-10
- Submit OFFICIAL TOEFL Score to GIAC (International Applicants Only)
International applicants must take the TOEFL and submit test scores to the Graduate and International Admissions Center (GIAC). Please visit the “International students submit TOEFL or IELTS” section on the GIAC website for information.
TOEFL Code: 6882
IELTS: Not accepted at McCombs
- Upload a copy of your Green Card to GIAC (Permanent Residents Only)
If you are a permanent resident, upload a copy of front and back of your Green Card to the Graduate and International Admissions Center (GIAC)
Step 4. Interview
Interviews are by invitation only. Applicants selected for an interview will receive an invitation by email at any time from the point of file completion until the end of the review process. MSTC interviews are conducted in person or over the phone by an MSTC Admissions Committee member. The MSTC Program office will contact you to schedule an interview if one is needed.
Step 5. Status Check
All applications to the Texas MSTC Program undergo a two-part process. The Graduate and International Admissions Center (GIAC) handles the processing of your transcripts, test scores and visa/permanent residence information (if applicable). The Texas MSTC Admissions Committee conducts the application review and administers a decision.
Use your UT EID and password to check whether these items have been received by the GIAC. If any of these items show as outstanding or not received, your application decision will be delayed.
Please note: It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure that all required credentials are received.
Phone: (512) 471-2283