Requirements to Apply
- Be a current undergraduate student at The University of Texas at Austin
- Have a 3.0 GPA or higher
- Submit an essay (up to 500 words) on your career goals in healthcare and how you think this certificate will help you achieve them (part of the application form)
- Previous work, internships/volunteering at a healthcare-related company or clinic is preferred.
- Membership and participation in a healthcare-based student organization at UT Austin counts. (part of the application form)
The certificate is open to current undergraduate students of all majors at The University of Texas at Austin. Still have questions? Check out our FAQ section.
- In-depth healthcare curriculum with a business focus
- Practicum courses that give you experience with real-world issues and working with local healthcare agencies such as Dell-Seton, Dell Children's Medical Center, and volunteer and Texas charity clinics
- Access to top business school professors from programs such as Michigan and MIT
- A healthcare specialization on your transcript
- McCombs Alumni status
- Special internship opportunities
Course Map Course Descriptions
Frequently Asked Questions
You may find the answer to your question here! If you still have questions, email us at Healthcare@McCombs.utexas.edu.
What are the requirements for admission/acceptance into the program?
You will need to:
- Have a 3.0 GPA or higher (*reduced as of fall 2018);
- Freshmen must have a GPA to apply.
- Submit an essay (up to 500 words) focusing on your healthcare career plans and how the certificate will help you achieve that (part of the application);
- Previous work, internships, or volunteering at a healthcare-related company or clinic preferred.
- Membership in a healthcare-related student org counts toward this preference. For a list of student orgs, see the Student Life page for the Business of Healthcare Certificate.
Do I have to apply to the program?
Yes. There is a new process for applying to a certificate program and officially pursuing it. But we take care of one of the steps for you!
- In order to have time to complete all of the requirements, you should have at least 2 semesters remaining before you graduate, unless you need 3 or fewer classes to complete the certificate, to apply to the program. Otherwise, you may not have enough time to complete all of the courses.
- Complete our registration form at http://www.mccombs.utexas.edu/Centers/Healthcare-Initiative/Certificate. This will include an essay. The link will appear during the registration period, September 1st - October 1st or February 1st - March 1st.
- If you are accepted into the program, we will enter your application into UT's new Certificate system.
- You will receive an automated email (system-generated from the Registrar's Office) once that is entered that will direct you to your major/home college advisor to add it to your degree profile. Please do so within two weeks of receiving that email.
If you already applied for the program in UT's system, you will need to go through our application process in order to be considered.
The admissions review process should complete prior to the first registration period in October (for Spring Term) and March (for fall term). We will notify you of your acceptance into the program. If you are not accepted, you will be able to reapply the following application period. We will consider your previous application as part of your points toward admissions. Remember: you need to have at least 2 semesters remaining before you graduate, unless you need 3 or fewer classes to complete the certificate, to apply to the program. Otherwise, you won't have enough time to complete all of the courses. You have to successfully complete all courses in the program within 12-months of your graduation date to have it listed on your transcript.
What is the deadline to apply?
Our fall application period is September 1st - October 1st. Our spring application period is February 1st - March 1st.
Can BSA students apply for the Business of Healthcare Certificate if they are on a catalog previous to 16/18?
Yes. However, you will not be able to use the Business of Healthcare Certificate to satisfy the BSA minor or certificate requirement if you are on a catalog previous to 16/18. If you are on an earlier catalog and you have time to complete the certificate in addition to your other requirements, we certainly welcome you to participate. BSA students on the 16/18 catalog can use the Business of Healthcare Certificate to satisfy their College of Natural Sciences requirement for the BSA.
What are the prerequisites for the courses?
Always refer to the course catalog for the most up to date prerequisites. Here is a list of known prerequisites as of Spring 2017:
Prerequisites are subject to change.
| ACC 311
|| 24 semester hours of college credit
| ACC 311H
|| 24 semester hours of college credit, MIS 301 or its equivalent, and credit or registration for Business Administration 324 or 324H
| OM 334M
Credit or registration for one of the following: ECO 329; EDP 371, M 316, 358K; STA 309, 309H; SDS 302, 304, 306, 328M; BME 335 (Engineering Statistics)
| LEB 334M
| MAN 3334M
Closed course. Limited seats. Must be a graduating senior in Business of Healthcare Certificate Program to request. Email Healthcare@McCombs.utexas.edu with your EID for access.
Please refer to your home/major advisor for prerequisite questions or concerns.
Can I receive credit for courses taken outside of UT Austin?
No. Students must complete the program's required 18 hours from six unique courses at UT Austin from the list of program courses outlined in the course catalog dated 12/14 or later.
Are there any substitutions for courses that are full?
We highly recommend that you contact us regarding any substitutions. If you run into this issue, please email us at Healthcare@McCombs.utexas.edu.
Can I take courses pass or fail?
No. You must take all courses for a letter grade in order to get credit for completing the certificate.
Are there study abroad opportunities?
Yes! New as of 2018, you can Study Abroad with the UT International Office, earning N309, and up to 16 hours from the world-renowned University of Sydney in Sydney, Australia with the Semester Plus: Global Health in Sydney program. This unique program gives students the opportunity to explore culture, health care systems, and global health concepts of the US, Australia and the world. You can find more information about the program at UT Study Abroad or here. Questions about the program? You can email the program coordinator, Julia Smith, directly at Julia.Smith@austin.utexas.edu or schedule a one-on-one appointment.
How long does it take to complete the program?
The program requires 6 unique courses totaling 18 semester hours in addition to any prerequisites. The course requirements can be completed at your own pace. Several of our upper division courses are only offered in spring or fall semesters. Few of the courses are currently offered in the summer.
As long as all certificate requirements are completed in conjunction with their degree requirements or within one year after earning their degree, transcript recognition will be granted. The University permits continuos registration for undergraduate classes even after a degree has been earned. However, if you have not been enrolled for one full semester or longer, returning to take courses required applying to UT for readmission. Should you want to finish your certificate through University Extension at https://extendedcampus.utexas.edu/uex/, you may take Business of Healthcare classes through that program to complete your certificate.
What if I'm graduating and haven't completed all of the requirements?
You have up to 12 months following your graduation to complete all course requirements for transcript credit. If you have at least 9 hours completed, you can safely list it on your resume as a specialty, but you would not receive transcript credit.
How do I request certification?
UT has a new program that automates this part of the process and makes it a part of the degree audit process. However, please email Healthcare@McCombs.utexas.edu to let us know you are graduating so we can prepare your certificate and ensure we have graduation cords on hand. You will pick up graduation cords at our main office. Email Healthcare@McCombs.utexas.edu to set a time for pickup for before Commencement.
Will I receive a paper certificate in addition to my diploma?
No. We will email you a PDF that you can print out at your convenience. Transcript recognition officially certifies this accomplishment. In order to receive official certification, you must apply for the certificate when you apply for graduation, or when you complete the certificate program requirements, whichever is later. Transcript recognition is awarded at the end of that semester or summer session.
Info Sessions and Advising
To schedule an advising appointment, email Healthcare@McCombs.utexas.edu and specify the date/time requested for the meeting.
All meetings must be arranged in advance and are by-appointment only.
Info Sessions usually happen once or twice a semester during or just before the application period (September or February). We also attend various events on the UT campus. Look for Info Sessions for the fall application period (September 1st - October 1st) in early September.