Texas Venture Labs (TVL) is an accelerator that connects local startup companies with talented and entrepreneurial graduate students from the MBA, Law, Engineering, Pharmacy and Natural Sciences programs at the University of Texas. These students participate in semester-long consulting projects solving important problems alongside the company’s founders. Check out Where You Fit In and Application Process below for more information.
Examples of previous consulting projects:
- Market validation: Worked with life sciences firm to research three potential applications for their product, ultimately determining that one was viable and two were not.
- Business model assessment: Examined the marketability of a social media platform and worked with them to shift to a data-based business model.
- Financial analysis: Helped a custom music instrument company get their statements in order and analyze the information to validate their pricing model.
- Funding guidance: Assisted a grocery delivery service in identifying their 5-year growth potential based on different funding options (VC, Angel, Loans, Bootstrap).
- Competitive analysis: Looked into competitors and substitutes for a software company and found that they did not provide enough differentiation to gain funding.
What We Do
Texas Venture Labs students provide research and consulting to local startups on their most pressing challenges in order to:
- Accelerate startups in taking their products to market and making a funding decision
- Give graduate students real-world startup experience
Where You Fit In
If admitted to the program as a student, you'll join a team of five or six students working closely with two startup companies to make an immediate and direct impact on the companies’ development.
You will learn about market validation, competitive analysis, financial analysis, business model assessment, and funding guidance from professors and entrepreneurs, and then apply these skills on projects for the companies.
Previous projects have included identifying and sizing new markets for a fiber-optic sensing platform, and developing a model for marketing costs incurred by a new consumer packaged goods company.
The application for the Texas Venture Labs Practicum Fall 2017 class is now open. Graduate students can apply at bit.ly/applyTVL_student.
Application due: March 3
Provide general information, resume and cover letter
Group interviews: March 21 - March 30
Sign up for time slots will open after March 3. Interviews will be with up to five other applicants.
Group presentation: April 6
Pre-assigned teams will present an analysis and investment recommendation based on a provided business plan. Applicants will provide a peer evaluation for each team member.
We host info sessions at a number of graduate schools across campus for the convenience of students on different parts of campus. Anyone from any UT graduate school is welcome to attend any info session. They are not restricted to students of the school in which they are hosted. Please check back for updates as we add sessions.
Monday, Feb. 27, 4 PM in PHR 5.214
Tuesday, Feb. 28, 5 PM in TNH 2.140
Wednesday, March 1, 5 PM in GSB 3.130
Please review a syllabus or email us. Visit our office hours Wednesdays from 12:30 PM - 1:30 PM in the AT&T Conference Center One Twenty 5 Cafe.