Tenured and Tenure-Track Accolades and Awards
- Shiva Agarwal joined our faculty as an assistant professor in fall 2017. She earned her Ph.D. in management from The Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania.
- Sekou Bermiss is featured in a Dallas Morning News article about company practices and ethics at Dallas-based firm Santander. Read more here. He was promoted to the rank of Associate Professor (with tenure) on Sept. 1, 2018. In 2018, he was named by Poets & Quants as one of the top 50 undergraduate business professors.
- Andrew Brodsky joined our faculty as an assistant professor in fall 2017. He earned his Ph.D. in management from the Harvard Business School. Andrew was awarded a fall 2019 McCombs Research Excellence Grant Award for “Communicating Virtually.”
- Ethan Burris was awarded McCombs' 2018-19 Joe D. Beasley Award for teaching excellence in the MBA curriculum. He was promoted to the rank of Full Professor on Sept. 1, 2018. Ethan was co-awarded the McCombs School of Business' 2017-18 Jim Nolen Award for Excellence in Graduate Teaching. He was awarded McCombs' 2016-17 Research Excellence Award for Associate Professors.
- Janet Dukerich was awarded McCombs' 2016-17 Fawn and Vijay Mahajan Teaching Excellence Award for Executive Education.
- Steve Gray joined our faculty as an assistant professor in fall 2017. He earned his Ph.D. in management from the University of Washington in St. Louis. Steve had a research press mention in Science Daily for his study, “New Venture Team Success Requires Collective Ownership” -- with boundaries.
- Paul Green joined our faculty as an assistant professor in fall 2018. He earned his Ph.D. in management from the Harvard Business School.
- Douglas Hannah won runner-up for the 2019 Ralph Gomory Best Industry Studies Paper Award, awarded annually by the Industry Studies Association for the best industry studies paper published in 2018; the paper that won was "How firms navigate cooperation and competition in nascent ecosystems" with Kathy Eisenhardt in Strategic Management Journal. He was awarded McCombs' 2017-18 Trammell/CBA Foundation Teaching Award for Assistant Professors. Doug was named an "Outstanding Reviewer" in 2017 by the Strategic Management Division (formerly BPS - Business Policy and Strategy Division) at the Academy of Management in 2017.
- Dave Harrison was named as faculty in the top 1% in impact from all business and economics scientists worldwide in Essential Science Indicators. He was named in "Favorite Professors" for 2018-19 in Poets & Quants. He received the 2018 Distinguished Reviewer of the Year Award for Academy of Management Review. Dave was mentioned in McCombs Minute (Nov. 15, 2108 edition) for his research in which data show that firms do better with female leaders in the mix; please see the following link for more information, https://medium.com/texas-McCombs/women-bring-more-skills-better-performance-to-the-c-suite-f5edd783c269. He was awarded McCombs' 2017-18 Joe D. Beasley Award (MBA Teaching).
- Insiya Hussain joined our faculty as an assistant professor in fall 2019. She earned her Ph.D. in organizational behavior and human resource management from the University of Maryland.
- Luis Martins was named the Houston MBA Program Professor of the Year by the Class of 2019. He was co-awarded McCombs' 2017-18 Award for Research Excellence. He was appointed to the James B. Goodson Professorship in Business on September 1, 2017. Luis was awarded McCombs' 2016-17 Jim Nolen Award for Excellence in Graduate Teaching.
- Shefali Patil is featured in the Austin-American Statesman, Fox 7, CBS Austin, and KXAN highlighting her research about how public scrutiny affects police proactivity. Read more here. Her op-ed highlighting her recent research about police proactivity and public scrutiny is featured in The Hill. Read more here.
- Francisco Polidoro, along with senior colleagues from Wharton, INSEAD, and leading Brazilian business schools, co-organized the 2018 SMS Special Conference in Sao Paulo, https://www.strategicmanagement.net/sao-paulo/overview/overview.
- Ram Ranganathan was awarded McCombs' 2018-19 CBA Foundation Research Excellence Award for Assistant Professors. He has served on the editorial review board for Organization Science since 2018. Ram was elected as Representative-at-Large by the Cooperative Strategy IG as well as the Competitive Strategy IG by the Strategic Management Society in 2019. He was awarded the 2016 Emerging Scholar Award by the Technology and Innovation Management Division of the Academy of Management.
- PK Toh was appointed to the Juanita Dreibelbis Fellowship in Business on September 1, 2018. He, along with senior faculty from NYU, Cornell, and Carnegie Mellon, co-organized the 2018 Organization Science Winter Conference, https://pubsonline.informs.org/pb-assets/OSWC2018conference.pdf. He was elected as the Associate Program Chair for Strategic Management Society's (SMS) Competitive Strategy Interest Group (CSIG) in fall 2017. PK was awarded the 2017 Outstanding Reviewer Award by Strategic Management Journal .
Just Accepted Publications
- John S. Butler, Rajiv Garg, and Bryan Stephens: “Social networks, funding, and regional advantages in technology entrepreneurship: An empirical analysis.” Information Systems Research.
- Francisco Polidoro, Jr., David Chandler, and Wei Yang: “When is it good to be bad? Contrasting effects of multiple reputations for bad behavior on media coverage of serious organizational errors.” Academy of Management Journal.
- Shefali V. Patil and R.D. Lebel: “I want to serve but the public does not understand: Prosocial motivation, image discrepancies, and proactivity in public safety.” Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes.
Lecturer Accolades and Awards
- Doug Dierking was named the Texas Evening MBA Program Professor of the Year by the Class of 2019. He was promoted to the rank of Distinguished Senior Lecturer on Sept. 1, 2018.
- John Doggett is featured in San Antonio Express-News (Sept. 18, 2019) in a story about the economic impact of building the Navistar Trucking company in San Antonio. Read more here. Moreover, the BBC included John in a story about the Lone Star State's diverse economy and its nationwide and global impact. Listen here.
- Kathy Edwards was promoted to the rank of Distinguished Senior Lecturer on Sept. 1, 2018.
- Meeta Kothare, Director of Social Innovation Initiative, and her team of students and fellow faculty members have won the President’s Award for Global Learning. Read more here.
- Kristie Loescher was awarded the Outstanding Community-Based Learning Course Tower Award for her MAN 334M "Healthcare Systems Management" course, which pairs Business of Healthcare Program students with local care partners to work on real-world issues in real-time. She is a new Experiential Learning Initiative Faculty Ambassador on campus (read more here).
- Dennis Passovoy was awarded the Sam Walton Fellow Hall of Fame Award at the 2017 Enactus USA National Competition/Exposition.
- Katie Pritchett was awarded the Faculty Innovation Center Undergraduate Teaching Grant for the 2019-20 academic year; only four proposals were accepted. She was awarded the 2016-17 Tower Awards' Outstanding Community-Based Learning Faculty Award, which recognizes faculty members who combine students' learning with community partners to create a real-world learning environment (i.e., experiential learning).
BBA (Undergraduate) Faculty Honor Roll
Over the last several years, the following Management instructors have made the Undergraduate Faculty Honor Roll for receiving exceptionally high scores on the course-instructor surveys that students submit at the end of each semester:
MBA Faculty Honor Roll
The MBA Faculty Honor Roll is announced each semester after a vote among MBA students in various MBA Programs. In the last few years, the following Management instructors were named to the MBA Faculty Honor Roll:
- Steve Courter - Strategic Management" in the Dallas MBA Program for fall 2018
- Dave Harrison - MAN 383.16 "Leading People and Organizations" in the Dallas MBA Program for spring 2018
- PK Toh - BA 388T "Strategic Management" in the Houston MBA Program for fall 2018