Tenured and Tenure-Track Accolades & Awards
- Emily Amanatullah was selected in Fall 2011 as a member of the inaugural cohort of the Society for Teaching Excellence, whose purpose is to honor assistant professors who have demonstrated a particularly strong commitment to teaching. Members are selected by senior members of the University's Academy of Distinguished Teachers.
- Caroline Bartel received the CBA Foundation Advisory Council Centennial Fellowship #6 in spring 2013.
- Ethan Burris was awarded the Hank and Mary Harkins Award for Effective Teaching in Undergraduate Classes in spring 2012. He was promoted to the rank of associate professor (with tenure) on Sept. 1, 2011. He (along with John Daly) was selected as a 2011 recipient of the Regents Outstanding Teaching Award. The award, given by the UT System, recognizes "commitment to teaching through the delivery of the highest quality undergraduate instruction." Ethan also received the Trammell/CBA Foundation Teaching Award for Assistant Professors in 2009-10.
- John Butler, Director of the Herb Kelleher Center for Entrepreneurship as well as the IC² Institute, was invited by President Clinton to speak at the Clinton Global Initiative (CGI) America held in Chicago, Illinois, June 7-8, 2012. This was the second meeting of CGI America, and it brought together over 1,000 leaders from the public, private and nonprofit sectors to address issues of job generation and economic recovery in the U.S. John used his prodigious speaking skills to provide guidance to attendees as they attempted to find solutions to increase American prosperity.
- John Daly (along with Ethan Burris) was selected as a 2011 recipient of the Regents Outstanding Teaching Award. John was given the Outstanding Professor Award in 2010 by students in the Mexico City Executive MBA Program.
- Janet Dukerich was appointed in 2011 as an Oxford University International Research Fellow in the Centre for Corporate Reputation.
- Jim Fredrickson chairs the Management Department and has been listed in Business Week as among the best graduate business school teachers in the nation.
- Melissa Graebner received the CBA Foundation Advisory Council Centennial Fellowship #7 in spring 2013. In August 2012, she was elected to the Executive Committee of the Business Policy and Strategy (BPS) Division of the Academy of Management in recognition of her high standing in strategic management.
- Dave Harrison was awarded the Award for Research Excellence in spring 2013. He was selected to receive the 2012 Sage Publications/Robert McDonald Advancement of Organizational Research Methodology Award for his 2007 Academy of Management Review paper, "What's the Difference? Diversity Constructs as Separation, Variety, or Disparity in Organizations" (published with co-author Katherine Klein). In 2011, Dave received the Academy of Management's Gender and Diversity in Organizations (GDO) Division's Career Scholarly Contributions to Management Award, sponsored by Sage Publications, for his theoretical and empirical research on surface and deep-level forms of diversity. He received the Academy of Management Journal’s 2010 Outstanding Reviewer Award for having the highest cumulative quality rating among board members.
- Kyle Lewis is the incoming division chair (2013-14) for the Managerial and Organization Cognition Division of the Academy of Management. In 2011, she was the chair of the College on Organizations for INFORMS (The Institute for Operations Research and the Management Sciences). Kyle is the faculty director of the Master of Science in Technology Commercialization (MSTC) Program. She was a finalist for the Academy of Management's 2011 Best Paper Award for her research with George Huber titled, "Cross-understanding: Implications for group cognition and performance." In 2010, Kyle also received a McCombs Research Excellence Grant for her empirical research on cross-understanding.
- Luis Martins was awarded the 2012-13 Fawn and Vijay Mahajan Teaching Excellence Award for Executive Education, and he also received the Juanita Dreibelbis Fellowship in Business in spring 2013.
- Francisco Polidoro was promoted to the rank of associate professor (with tenure) on Sept. 1, 2013. He was selected to receive an Outstanding Reviewer Award from Organization Science in recognition of his outstanding contributions to that journal as a reviewer over the 2010-12 period. In 2012, he also received the Academy of Management Review award "for exemplary performance as editorial board outstanding reviewer."
- Ram Ranganathan had his doctoral dissertation selected by members of the Research Committee of the Academy of Management's Business Policy and Strategy (BPS) Division as one of six finalists in the summer of 2013 for the Wiley Blackwell Award for Outstanding Dissertation Research in Business Policy and Strategy. Ram joined our faculty in fall 2012 and earned his Ph.D. in management from The Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania.
- Violina Rindova was selected for the 2012 Award for Scholarly Contribution by Strategic Organization for her 2007 article, "Standing Out: How New Firms in Emerging Markets Build Reputation" (with Petkova and Kotha); the award recognizes the authors who have made exceptional contributions to the field. The Centre of Corporate Reputation at Oxford University chose Violina as the winner of the 2010 Best Published Paper Award for her 2010 Academy of Management Journal paper "A Tale of Two Assets: The Effects of Firm Reputation and Celebrity on Earnings Surprises and Investors' Reactions" (coauthored with her former student, Mike Pfarrer, and Professor Tim Pollock of Penn State).
- Jennifer Whitson was a finalist for trhe Best Paper Award from the Academy of Management's Managerial and Organizational Cognition Division in 2012.
Lecturer Awards & Honors
- Rob Adams was promoted to the rank of senior lecturer on Sept. 1, 2013. He was selected as the Master of Science in Technology Commercialization (MSTC) Program’s Outstanding Professor by the graduating classes of 2012 and 2010.
- John Burrows was elected to a two-year term (2011-13) as a representative-at-large in the Management Consulting Division of the Academy of Management.
- Steve Courter was selected by the students of the Mexico City Executive MBA Class of 2012 to receive the Outstanding Professional Contribution Award, which is given by the students to the faculty member who, in the course of the two years of the program, made the most significant contribution to their professional performance.
- John Doggett was honored with the Outstanding Professor Award at the recognition ceremony from the Texas Executive MBA Class of 2012.
- Kathy Edwards has been elected PDW Chair of the Academy's Management Consulting Division. Her term in this role will start officially on August 6, 2012. By becoming the PDW Chair in 2012-13, she automatically joins the four-year leadership track in the MC Division, which will take her to program chair in 2013-14 and division chair in 2014-15.
- Kristie Loescher was awarded an Outstanding Service Learning Professor Award in spring 2013 and in spring 2012 by The University of Texas Volunteer and Service Learning Center. She was promoted to the rank of senior lecturer on Sept. 1, 2010.
- JJ Riekenberg became the BA 324 Coordinator in summer 2012. She was awarded the Eyes of Texas Award for Teaching in spring 2010.
Undergraduate Faculty Honor Roll
In the last few years, the following Management instructors have made the Undergraduate Faculty Honor Roll for receiving exceptionally high scores on the course-instructor surveys that students submit at the end of each semester:
MBA Applause Award Winners
The MBA Applause Awards are announced each fall after a vote in the spring among full-time MBA students. In the last several years, the following Management instructors received an MBA Applause Award:
MBA Working Professionals Program Faculty Teaching Honor Roll
To qualify, a faculty member must have course evaluations that average 4.5 or higher on a 5-point scale (1 is the lowest, and 5 is the highest) gathered from students who are working professionals enrolled in the Texas Evening, Dallas, Houston, and Mexico City MBA programs. Congratulations to the following Management Department instructors who were named to this distinguished faculty honor roll in 2012-13: