23rd Annual Texas Finance Challenge
Attention All Team Captains:
You MUST submit your presentation and any supporting files by 11:59 pm on Thursday, November 6th.
The Annual MBA Finance Challenge is the largest and longest-running MBA case competition at McCombs. Every year, roughly 150 first-year students compete in teams of four to analyze and provide solutions to an in-depth financial business case. The Challenge takes place over three intense days. On the final day, the students present their conclusions to a panel of corporate and faculty judges. Teams selected to the final round compete for cash prizes.
Deadline to Register: October 24th, 2014
If you have any questions please contact: email@example.com
Beverly Hadaway, Associate Professor and Capitol City Savings Regents Fellow, Department of Finance. Beverly Hadaway received her B.B.A. from North Texas State University and her M.A. and Ph.D. from the University of Alabama. She is the Associate Chair of the Finance Department and director of the EDS Financial Trading and Technology Center. Her research interests include capital structure, agency theory, and corporate governance issues. Her teaching interests include corporate finance and macro-environmental analysis. Beverly started the Texas Finance Challenge in 1992.
Rules and Regulations
Participant Rules and Logistics
Case Distribution between 5 p.m. and 6 p.m. on Monday, November 3 in the Atrium
- Once the case is distributed, no outside assistance is allowed.
- You may not use the Internet as a research source.
- The Honor Code will be strictly imposed.
Early Friday Morning
- An electronic copy of your presentation and any support files (e.g., Excel model) must be uploaded HERE by 11:59 p.m. on Thursday, November 6th.
- The Friday presentation must conform exactly to the electronic version.
- To check-in, a representative from each team MUST show up no later than 7:00 a.m. to check-in and provide 12 hard copies of presentation. Bring your McCombs MBA name tags.
- Team must provide 12 hard copies of their presentation at check-in. Make sure your team name is on the first page of each presentation copy, in the top right corner, size 14 font or larger. Copies must be stapled.
- All presentation material (e.g. notes) must be submitted to Case Challenge officials by 7:00 a.m. on Friday, November 7. Teams who fail to submit their materials at this time will be disqualified. Please note, failing to submit a presentation and participate in the first round of the challenge will be viewed as a violation of the Honor Code and will be punished as such.
- The room assignments and team presentation order have been randomly determined. No accommodations will be made for first-round conflicts with McCombs recruiter sponsored events. You will receive your room assignments when you check in on Friday, November 7. First round presentations will begin promptly at 8:00 a.m. Arrive 10 minutes early to your assigned room and wait outside until the room monitor calls you in.
- A total of 40 minutes is allotted for each presentation. This includes the presentation, questions and answers at the end of each presentation, judges' feedback and transition time.
- Students must compete in their original teams and every member of the team must be present.
- Business dress is required.
- The decisions of the judges in all rounds are final.
- The preliminary round presentations are closed; teams will present only to judges.
- Finalists will be announced during lunch in the atrium. The drawing for the order of the final presentations will also take place at this time. Final presentations will begin at 1:00 p.m. Presentation materials cannot be changed between 1st and final rounds.
- Wild Card selections, if necessary, will also be announced during lunch in the Atrium. Wild Card teams will compete for one spot to present in the Finals. Wild Card presentations will begin at 1:30 p.m. in GSB 3.130.
- Teams competing in the final round will not be allowed to attend the presentations of their competitors until completion of their own presentation.
- The final round of presentations is open to interested students, faculty and other guests but seating is limited, so get there early.
- All non-finalist Challenge participants are encouraged to attend the final presentations and the Awards Reception.
- The winning team will be announced and prizes will be awarded during the Awards Reception. The reception is open to all Finance Challenge participants, guests, and faculty members (Informal feedback on presentations will also be available from the judges during the reception).
PRESENTATION FORMAT AND SCHEDULE
First Round Presentation Format: 40 Minutes
15-minute presentation *max
8-minute Q & A
5-minute team evaluation
7-minute judges feedback
5-minute communication coach feedback
First Round Presentation Schedule:
Location: Assigned Rooms (4 - 5 teams per room)
1. 8:00 a.m. - 8:40 a.m.
2. 8:45 a.m. - 9:25 a.m.
3. 9:30 a.m. - 10:10 a.m.
Break: 10:10 a.m. - 10:25 a.m.
4. 10:25 a.m. - 11:05 a.m.
5. 11:10 a.m. - 11:50 a.m.
Final Round Presentation Format: 30 Minutes *
20 - minute Presentation *max
10 - minute Q & A
*no changes are allowed to presentation materials between First and Final Rounds
Monday, November 3, 2014: Case Distribution
Dress is Casual
5:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m.
Distribute Case and Discuss Rules
Thursday, November 6, 2014: Presentation Due
Upload your presentation here by 11:59 p.m.
Friday, November 7, 2014: Finance Challenge
McCombs School of Business
Dress is Business Formal
7:00 a.m. - 7:30 a.m.
Team Check-in and Continental Breakfast
Bring 12 hard copies of your presentation to turn in no later than 7:00 a.m.
Room assignments and presentation times are provided at Check-in
Finalists will be announced at the end of lunch
Final Round Presentations Begin
Cohort Room - GSB 3.106
Wild Card Presentations (If necessary)
Cohort Room - GSB 3.130
Reception and Awards Presentation Immediately following Final Presentations - The Atrium
1st place: $10,000 with chance to win another $10,000 at next competition
2nd place: $5,000
3rd place: $2,000
4th place: $700
5th place: $600
6th place: $500