How to Create and Edit Pages in Sitecore
Creating and editing pages can be simple and even fun, really.
- Lock your page to edit
- Use hyphens when creating a page name
- Take out hyphens in Navigation Title and Page Title
- Don't forget your Metadata Information
Creating Your Basic Page in 5 Easy Steps
Building the Page!
Here we will utilize the riches of Sitecore.
- The Content Editor has been designed to make loading content super easy for you.
The Content Editor Loading Dock is where you will be providing your page’s substance.
- The Content Tree is where you will find your department folder and sub-folders that you can create and edit.
First we must create a page to build in.
- When building your pages you will need to locate the proper folder for you content build within the Content Tree.
- The Content Tree reflects the basic build of the live site.
- You should be able to easily locate your department or category within the content tree.
- When you find your correct parent folder right-click it to create a new page.
- A pop-up menu will appear.
- Click Insert and then select your first option.
- Depending on which category you are creating a page in, the name may change. It may say “About page”, it may say “BBA page” etc…
- Click the one that has a page icon next to it, it will be the top choice.
- When you click this, a dialog box will open asking you to name the page.
- You will need to choose a page name that is very specific to the site content.
- You will also need to make sure that the page name has a hyphen between the words.
- Enter your Page Name with hyphens and click OK.
Now we can Create and Edit!
- You will see a new page has popped up in the Content Tree.
- Click on this page and you will see the title with hyphens pop up in the Content Loading Dock on the right side of the screen.
- If you are not familiar with the purpose and function of these sections of the content loading dock, please see the overview videos.
- For the editing process you will need to make sure your page is locked by clicking the lock and edit text at the top of your content loading dock.
- First, change your Page Title to exclude the hyphens.
- Adjust the Navigation Title.
- Insert appropriate Metadata Tags.
- Save after each of these.
- Insert your Metadata Description text into the field.
- Make sure it is very clear and descriptive with lots of active words.
- You have 140-200 characters to entice people to look at your page.
- Take a note from Cyrano, woo them with your words.
Now that you have done all of the set up, it's time to make some content!!