The Global Management Minor
The Global Management minor gives students a unique opportunity to leverage their study abroad experience with academic coursework.
BUSINESS HAS NO BORDERS
The Global Managemet minor allows business and non-business majors alike to leverage their international experience into marketable skills coveted by today's employers. Through a mix of coursework, international experience, and capstone study, students learn how to conduct cultural analysis and apply it to everyday business interactions.
GM MINOR COURESWORK
Studying or interning abroad allows students to apply their skills in places with new attitudes, norms, and expectations. Global Management students develop these skills in a core sequence, typically:
- An International Experience - usually Study Abroad or International Internship - of at least 5 weeks or more
- A Capstone Course in Global Management (IB 337) offered in the spring only.
Global Management students also complete the following at any point in their academic journey:
- International Trade (usually IB 350)
- Foundations of International Relations and Global Studies (IRG 320F) (pre-req. waived for non-IRG students)
- Organizational Behavior (MAN 336) (non-BUS students may opt for MAN 320F instead)
The Capstone Course in Global Management must be taken after the international experience is completed, but the remaining coursework may be taken at any time and in any order.
HOW TO APPLY
Applications are non-competitive, but should be completed by April 1st to ensure processing in time for Early Fall Registration and by October 1st to ensure processing in time for Early Spring Registration.
- Go to the Registrar Document Submission page for minors.
- Enter your EID where indicated, and select "International Business" from the "Field of Study" menu
- Click Next to proceed.
- Select "International Business" from the "Type" menu.
- Confirm your choice and submit the application.
You will receive notification as soon as your application has been processed, at which time you will need to contact your academic advisor and inform them you would like your minor tied to your degree profile.
- You must be enrolled as an undergraduate at The University of Texas at Austin
- You must be in good academic standing at the university, with a minimum UT GPA of 3.0
- Note that students can generally only pursue one minor - please speak to your academic advisor with questions.
Students eligible for the 2018-2020 Undergraduate Catalog may apply to and complete the Global Management Certificate in lieu of a Global Management Minor. The GM Certificate has the same requirements as the minor, but it also requires 3 horus of Economics and 3 hours of Area Studies Coursework. Students interested in the certificate should consult their acadmeic advisor to discuss their options.