Alumni Career Management
Alumni Career Management supports degreed McCombs alumni at any stage of professional development. Whether you’re applying for jobs, changing careers, looking to move within your organization, or building your network, you can find help here.
Meeting You Where You Are
Career management can help you no matter what path you’re on. Whether you are wanting to explore new options, develop job search strategies, or polish your leadership skills through coaching, we are here for you.
How We Can Help
Whether you prefer a self-guided approach or hands-on coaching, we provide many resources to help you achieve your career goals.
Job Search Assistance
- McCombs Talent Now is an online job board that offers employers the ability to promote experienced hire opportunities to working professional students and alumni of the McCombs School of Business throughout the calendar year. Job postings are entered and managed independently by companies and may be directed at alumni with specific degrees.
- HireUTexas is The University of Texas at Austin’s campus-wide job board, connecting students and alumni with employers looking for top talent.
- McCombs Alumni Resume Guide will walk you through your targeted accomplishments to create a resume that will Hook ‘em High!
- Free Interview Help – The Big Interview, sponsored by the Texas Exes Association, provides step-by-step video lessons and interview practice tools to help you strengthen your interview skills, whether you’re interviewing for a job or an internship.
The McCombs Alumni Directory is a valuable tool that helps you stay in touch with your classmates and network with fellow alumni. Please update your information so your classmates and current students can connect with you!
HookedIn is your one-stop shop for alumni-specific job boards, asking quick questions of alumni, scheduling career coaching appointments, and learning more about your fellow alumni. To search for alumni in target areas, there are multiple ways to connect on the site and set up time to connect for further discussions.
Executive Career Management Assistance
Blue Steps is a leading executive career management service operated by the Association of Executive Search Consultants (AESC) and provides executive talent a wealth of career management resources, including absolute confidentiality and ethical connections with AESC Members. Memberships may be purchased by McCombs alumni at a 30 percent discount.
Alumni Coaching Guidelines:
- McCombs alumni have access to Alumni Career Management Coaches for four coaching appointments per calendar year.
- We are committed to partnering with you to help you realize your career goals. Session topics may include: preparation for an upcoming interview, how to structure a career change, evaluating job opportunities, or reviewing career assessments to identify a new career direction.
- This benefit is free of charge to McCombs Alumni.
- At the end of your sessions, your ACM Coach will work with you to outline next steps and can refer you to an external career coach for additional support.
Top Four Tips for Coaching Success:
- Be prepared to state the goal of your appointment when you schedule it.
- Utilize all online resources ahead of time and provide any results of your efforts (i.e. recent résumé, assessment results, company lists from your job search).
- Have a two-minute “story” or “elevator pitch” ready to go.
- Ensure that you have a Zoom account and confirm the Zoom appointment date & time.
How to Make an Appointment with an ACM Coach:
LinkedIn and Social Media
Follow McCombs on LinkedIn, along with private groups for BBA and MBA alumni to keep up to date with what's happening in your network. Be sure that "Red McCombs School of Business" is in the education section of your LinkedIn profile and you automatically become a member. A brief video tutorial is here: LinkedIn Hack. This allows you to search all alumni by city, industry, class year, and more.
Need more FREE LinkedIn assistance? Join The LinkedIn Guys! This course from two former LinkedIn employees can help you not only build your online brand but understand how to really leverage the platform in your job search.
Stay in Touch with Texas
- Sign up for our Newsletter
- Join McCombs Connect for Mentorship and Networking Opportunities
- Follow the Alumni Network on Social:
- Search the Alumni Directory
- Search McCombs Talent Now
- Read the Big Ideas newsletter
- Read the latest issue of the McCombs magazine
- Contact the Alumni Relations office