MBA Healthcare Concentration
We established the MBA Healthcare Concentration in 2010 as part of the full-time Texas MBA program. Since then, we have continued to develop this program, including a new course in the Healthcare Business Ecosystem and the creation of the Healthcare Innovation Fellows (HIF).
Learn more about Texas MBA
New for Fall 2017! OM 380 - Healthcare Operations Management has been added to our MBA Healthcare Concentration. This course will be taught by new faculty hire, Dr. Diwakar Gupta, who is joining McCombs from the University of Minnesota.
Learn more about Dr. Gupta's research
We also recently added a new MBA practicum (MAN 385 - Healthcare Technology Commercialization Practicum) in partnership with Dell Med's Texas Health Catalyst, that will give students the opportunity to work on real healthcare startups and work directly with the inventors and innovators. Students will learn about new ventures and startups, the FDA approval process, and more.
Revamped for Spring 2018: Pharmaceutical Entrepreneurship has been redesigned to Entrepreneurship & Health Innovations (PGS 380M, MAN 385, PHR 282R). It is now an 8-week interdisciplinary practicum course offering students an opportunity to get hands-on experience identifying and developing ideas, market validation, and more and is a feeder into other startup paths across the University. This course is a joint effort between the Drug Dynamics Institute, the McCombs School of Business, Cockrell School of Engineering, Texas Health Catalyst, and Austin Technology Incubator (ati).
Other courses include:
- INF 385N: Consumer Health Informatics
- MAN 385: Healthcare Business Ecosystem
- MAN 385: Healthcare Innovation/Technology Commercialization
- MAN 385: Entrepreneurship & Health Innovations (Pharmacy)
- MKT 382.15: Marketing High-Tech Products
- N 386F: Budget and Finance in Healthcare
- OM 386: Service Operations Management
If you have questions about the MBA Healthcare Concentration, please contact Dr. Kristie Loescher.
MBA Healthcare Innovation Fellows
The mission of the Healthcare Innovation Fellows (HIF) is to promote the McCombs School of Business as a program that produces business leaders with the capability to impact the healthcare industry through innovation. Fellows will:
- Obtain a deep understanding of the business aspect of healthcare through healthcare specific courses.
- Hear strategy and insight from top healthcare leaders through a speaker series.
- Gain practical experience through mini-consulting projects with healthcare companies.
- Collaborate with other graduate students in the Cockrell School of Engineering and Dell Medical School to gain a multi-disciplinary lens of the healthcare industry.
The HIF brings healthcare industry key opinion and thought leaders to campus to engage and discuss with Fellows how healthcare is changing, innovating, and what their respective companies or institutions are doing.
For more about the HIF, visit http://www.healthinnovationfellows.com/.