In response to the COVID-19 situation, the policy of the McCombs Behavioral Lab for all participant pools is to parallel the university class policy. We are thus still operational and are shifting ALL behavioral lab studies to be run remotely.
The McCombs Research Restart page has all university and research related updates and resources.
If you are a researcher who would like to request to run an ONLINE Paid Study using the McCombs Behavioral Lab Paid Pool, please fill out this form.
If you are a researcher who would like to request Supplemental Research Data Assistance (such as data coding, data cleaning, etc.), please fill out this form.
Application Form | Procedures and Priorities
Only McCombs School faculty members and doctoral students are permitted to use the Behavioral Research Laboratory at this time. An application form for the Behavioral Research Laboratory can be found below. Submitting a completed form online is the first step in the application process.
Requests will only be entered on the Schedule Calendar for forms that are completed in full. If not complete, the Behavioral Research Laboratory staff will return the form to the requester for completion. Forms will generally be processed by the Behavioral Research Laboratory staff. If laboratory usage issues arise that cannot be solved by individual researchers or by following the priorities described below, they will be referred to the Behavioral Research Laboratory Committee.
Approved requests are posted on the Schedule Calendar and can be viewed on-line at any time. Requests are final only after all requirements have been met (e.g. a complete application form has been received and IRB approval obtained). Submissions of requests to use the Behavioral Research Laboratory should follow application for approval to use human subjects.
Please see: https://research.utexas.edu/ors/human-subjects/ for information and forms relating to the human subjects approval process.
Actual use of the Behavioral Research Laboratory requires that a researcher has received prior project-specific IRB approval for the use of human subjects. Reservations are subject to cancellation if IRB approval has not been received two weeks prior to the conduct of the research and will be automatically cancelled if the project has not been approved one week before the time of the reservation.
- Research projects take top priority over all other uses of the Behavioral Research Laboratory.
- Requests are only considered final when IRB approval has been received.
- Application forms may be submitted up to two (2) months in advance of the conduct of the research, but not later than fourteen (14) days prior to the proposed request week.
- If a requested period extends beyond two months past the date of the request, that request will be honored only if the dates are for a single experiment to be run on consecutive business days.
- Each researcher is allotted a maximum of twenty (20) hours per week and a maximum of forty (40) hours per month.
- Requests for future usage times are cumulative from the beginning of the month on a first-come, first-served basis.
- When all other requirements have been satisfied, it may be possible for a researcher to reserve the Behavioral Research Laboratory on very short notice with special approval. Exceptions are made on a case-by-case basis.
- For detailed information regarding the Behavioral Lab's policies and procedures, please see the following manual: McCombs Behavioral Lab Purpose and Resources 2-15-19.
Behavioral Research Laboratory Access
At least one principal investigator must be a McCombs School faculty member.
Ph.D. students are welcome and encouraged to use the Behavioral Research Laboratory. However, their reservations must be made jointly with a McCombs School faculty member (even for dissertations). Ph.D. students have the same priority as faculty members for laboratory usage.
The faculty member principal investigator has personal responsibility for Behavioral Research Laboratory equipment during the approved time of use. It is the responsibility of the faculty member principal investigator to personally oversee student use of the laboratory as well as use of the key.
You can cancel an existing request by sending an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
I have read and understand these policies.