RRH Media Services Department Information
Media Services - RRH 3.410
|Monday - Friday||7:45am - 6:15pm|
RRH 7:00am - 6:00pm, card access only outside these hours
RRH Guadalupe building access is card only
General Information and Special Requests
Rowling Hall Equipment Checkout Policy for Students
- A student must be in the Graduate School of Business in the current semester to be eligible for equipment checkout.
- Upon pickup of equipment the student is required to present a valid student ID and sign a policy agreement. This agreement is valid until the student discontinues taking any business courses. It is the responsibility of the student to ask about changes in fees and/or other regulations.
- Some equipment (computer laptops, computer projectors) requires a yearly insurance fee of $5.00 when checked out overnight. This fee has to be paid before equipment may be picked up.
- The student takes full responsibility (see paragraph below) for the equipment and its accessories until it is returned to Media Services.
- The student is required to sign a checkout agreement upon pickup. The return time and date on the receipt are binding for the student, failure to return equipment on time will result in an overdue fee.
- There is a limit of two nights and three days per week that any item may be checked out, and the item will be due by 4:00 p.m. on the third day. The weekend policy requires that a checkout can be from Thursday until Monday at 4:00 p.m. OR Friday until Tuesday at 4:00 p.m.. Upon returning an item after a weekend checkout (Thursday to Monday) you would be eligible for one more night checkout of the new week however one full day must pass before you can reserve or checkout the same type of equipment. (Example: If you return a digital camera on Monday (that you had since Thursday) you would have to wait until Wednesday to check out or make a reservation for another digital camera, for your one remaining night of that week).
Late fees will be assessed for equipment not returned at the time and date shown on the checkout receipt. Failure to respond promptly to a late equipment notice may result in a loss of privileges.
Fees are as follows and are assessed per item:
- Regular Items (cables, tripods, microphones) have a $1 late fee per day
- Laptop Computers have a $3 fee per hour late fee when returning the same day, or $15 per day starting the next business day
- LCD Projectors or panels have a $3 fee per hour late fee when returning the same day, or $15 per day starting the next business day
- Camcorders, Digital cameras, Presentation Remotes, etc. have a $1 fee per hour late fee when returning the same day, or $5 per day starting the next business day
Late Fee Calculation
- Equipment returned 15 minutes after the time specified on an agreement will begin to incur late fees. Equipment that is not returned before closing of due date will start incurring daily late fees.
- If equipment is returned late on two separate occasions in the same semester the student will be barred from further checkout of media equipment for a period of time equal to one full semester. Failure to respond to a late notice within 24 hours may also result in a loss of privileges.
- Laptops and computer projectors checked out overnight require a one time (per academic year) insurance payment of $5. Once the payment has been made it covers all equipment eligible for insurance coverage against loss or theft for the entire academic year ending on the last day of class of the second summer session. A new payment has to be made for all eligible checkouts made on or after September 1st.
- Equipment returned defective or malfunctioning will be repaired at no charge to the student if there is no evidence of accidental or deliberate misuse.
- Accidental damage to equipment like dropping, falling, using wrong power supplies or media without the intent to damage the equipment will be repaired by Media Services or outside agencies. The costs for these repairs are the responsibility of the customer as follows. There is an assessment charge of $24.00 per hour for every repair. If the equipment can be repaired within 1 hour without spare parts, no additional costs will occur. Any other repair will be billed at an $24.00 per hour rate plus material and parts up to the lower of $424.00 or 40% of the actual repair cost.
Graphic Services Policies
- Please allow for three working days or more, depending on the complexity of the project.
- All projects are on a first-come, first-served basis. Therefore, It is not wise to wait until the day before your deadline to submit a request.
The mission of Media Services is to provide audiovisual support to faculty, students and staff in the Graduate School of Business (GSB) and the College of Business Administration (CBA) in order to increase teaching effectiveness through the application of appropriate technology.
The Rowling Hall (RRH) Media Services office will support all faculty members who are holding classes within Rowling Hall as well as business school students with all their media needs. The office will provide access to specialized equipment to create presentation and classroom material, and supply professional support in creating such material. We will introduce new technology to the school as needed in order to ensure availability to the same type of technology used in the business world.
The RRH Media Services office is located on the third floor of the Rowling Hall building (RRH 3.410).
- RRH Media Support is located in RRH 3.410 and it handles checkout and classroom support.
Our goal is to guarantee the shortest possible interruption of lectures by having knowledgeable staff on duty at all times. These professionals will assist faculty and students to the fullest of their capabilities. Our ultimate goal is to satisfy the customer's needs in any way possible, and if this goal cannot be accomplished, to refer them to another source which can satisfy their needs. All positions require a maximum amount of patience and friendliness.
Requests from customers for services, which are not supported by this office, need always be brought to the attention of a supervisor so they can consider the implementation of such services in future plans.
Our customers can be divided into four categories:
- We provide full service for business faculty for any class held in the business complex during our office hours. Business faculty can check out any of our equipment for a determined period of time. Certain kinds of equipment are allowed to leave campus for short periods.
- McCombs staff can check out our equipment for a determined period of time, and certain kinds of equipment are allowed to leave campus for short periods.
- All students currently enrolled in the business school can reserve equipment for their classes and checkout any of our equipment for a determined period of time. Certain kinds of equipment are allowed to leave campus for short periods.
- All other UT staff and all UT students can reserve equipment for classes held within the business complex, though there is a limited supply of equipment for checkout available to them.
For more information, see the Checkout Equipment page.
The classrooms in Rowling Hall are equipped with self-service multimedia technology, which includes computer projection.
Hours of Operation
Checkout: Mon–Fri 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Classroom Support: Mon-Fri 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. except on official university holidays.
Media Services will provide computers and projection equipment to any classroom in Rowling Hall for the duration of the class session. The equipment needs to be reserved two business days in advance to guarantee delivery; late requests might result in self-service. All computers contain the standard business school licensed application and operating system image (COE). Individual software packages may be installed on these machines if proof of ownership or licensing can be provided. Installation will have to be performed by one of our IT professionals prior to the class. Please allow a minimum of 48 hours lead time. We will not be responsible for loss, damage, or theft of documents or other software left on disks built into these computers. Media Services will provide video players and projection equipment to any classroom in Rowling Hall for the duration of the class session. The equipment needs to be reserved two business days in advance to guarantee delivery; late requests might result in self-service. Most built in video projection facilities allow for close captioning for the hearing impaired, but please request this service in advance.
Media Services has a variety of media equipment for use within Rowling Hall. We deliver all equipment for standard setups to the rooms. For more elaborate setups we might require a TA from that class to perform the setup due to time constraints on our side. Classes in equipment usage are provided through our office by appointment. Please contact Media Support for individual training.
Reservations for equipment can be made starting two weeks before the end of the previous semester. We confirm all reservations within one workday, either by e–mail, fax or phone. Requests can be made:
- By e-mail: RRHmedia@mccombs.utexas.edu
- On our website Multimedia Requests
- In person at our office, RRH 3.410, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. Mon–Fri.
Submitting an equipment reservation does not guarantee availability until a confirmation is received.
In case of equipment failure Media Services will try to remedy the problem as quickly as possible. If the problem cannot be resolved we will try to supply the customer, to the best of our abilities, with backup or alternate equipment. Failure to provide a satisfactory result and the consequences caused by such failure are not the responsibility of this office or its affiliates. The customer is responsible for having adequate backup procedures at hand if the equipment fails.
Media Services has a variety of equipment available for checkout to MSB faculty and students. A list is available at Checkout Equipment. These items can be checked out, with some exceptions, for a period of three days. Their purpose is to provide the customer with tools to create projects or presentations for their course work. Checkout is free, and only business faculty and students enrolled in business courses are eligible for this service. Certain kinds of equipment need to be insured and there is a late charge for overdue returns (see Media Support)
Laptop computers are available for checkout. Checkout period is limited to 72 hours per week. These computers may be used for presentations off campus and in other buildings on campus. The computers use the Windows 10 operating system and the Business School Common Operating Environment (COE) which includes MS-Word, MS-Excel, MS-PowerPoint, MS-Access and MS-Outlook.
We have a variety of portable computer projection equipment which may be checked out by itself or in conjunction with a laptop computer. Checkout period is limited to 72 hours per week. These projectors may be used for presentations off campus and in other buildings on campus. Customers are responsible for ensuring that the projection equipment is compatible with their computer before they go to the presentation and ensure that they know how to switch resolution and activate the external video port on the computer.
Digital camcorders are available, as well as accessories like tripods and microphones. These may be checked out for the duration of three days for taping interviews, events or any other business school related projects.
Digital still cameras and web cams may be checked out for the duration of three days for business school related projects.
Microphones, portable PA’s and portable CD players may be checked out for three days. All related accessories are available through us on a checkout basis.
There is a multitude of other equipment available (see a complete listing on our web site at Checkout Equipment). All equipment is available for business school related events.
All services are available to business faculty, students and staff. Most services require a nominal charge for time and materials. Allow enough time to complete your order; depending on workload the times mentioned below may not be possible. We charge extra for rush orders. All orders are handled on a first come, first served basis. The following services provided abide by copyright law, trademark, trade secret, and unfair competition law. Permission must be obtained for all intellectual property covered by copyright law.
A complete listing of our services and fees can be found on the media services price lists tab of Services and Support.
Video and audio duplication is available to MSB faculty, students and staff. Turn-around time is usually 24 hours. For orders larger than three copies, please allow more time. All video dubbing is done in real time, no high speed video dubbing is available.
The Graphic Services office offers fee-based creation of departmental periodicals, brochures, pamphlets, temporary signs, posters, ad layout, and nametags.
We provide support service for special events within the business school complex. There is a charge for this service if a technician is required to maintain the equipment during the event. We will the set equipment up, instruct the user in its operation, and take it down.
After-hours and weekend events will be charged for the duration of the event, plus 30-minute setup and strike time. Events lasting beyond 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday will only be charged the period after 5:00 p.m. plus 30 min. strike time.
A complete listing of our services and fees can be found on the media services price lists tab of Services and Support.
We have professional event specialists on staff, which will assist you with the planning of your media needs. For special request beyond our capabilities we may contact outside service providers. We will assist in arranging all of your media needs and assure that all needed equipment is made available to you at the required time and place. Planning sessions for your events are free of charge when they occur during our normal business hours.
A video and audio recording service is available for a nominal charge. Reservations need to be made in advance and are subject to availability. If needed, we may hire additional camera or mixing board operators at a fixed rate. We also provide training classes free of charge for TAs, faculty and staff in the operation of this type of equipment
The customer will be treated with courtesy and respect. Before a customer leaves, an employee will ensure that all questions have been answered. All requests will be taken seriously and met to our best ability. If a request does not fall within the normal operating parameters and a customer is unsatisfied with the availability of a service, a supervisor will be contacted. If satisfactory service cannot be provided the supervisor will decide if we can provide alternatives to the requested service. In case of a dispute or complaint, an immediate supervisor will be contacted and if this does not resolve the conflict, the department head shall be called.
All services will be provided to the best of our abilities to the customer’s specifications. Unsatisfactory services will always be brought to a supervisor’s attention.
Classroom deliveries are to be on time and completed before the class goes into session. A setup is not to be left until everything is turned on and working satisfactory. If equipment fails at the time of delivery a technician is to be called immediately and arrangements for backup equipment will be made in case the problem is not fixable in five minutes or less. After the technician informs the office that the equipment is out of service the backup equipment will be delivered immediately. If repair or replacement of equipment exceeds a duration of ten minutes, the faculty member must confirm that a replacement is needed, or if possible they can hold the lecture with alternative teaching aids.
All other services need a written request (work order). The performing employee will consult with the customer about details of the service requested as needed. Work orders need to be filled out completely before a service is performed; the customer is to be informed about the cost before a request is accepted. All services are subject to a final inspection by the customer before payment is made, the customer will make no payment until the order is completed. The final product will only leave our office after a payment has been received or an arrangement to pay through an account has been made and signed.
No sales are to be made without a receipt. In case of account sales all receipts need to be signed by the purchaser. All items are to be sold through an authorized seller only.
Media Services Policies
Media Services has a listing of their policies available on the Media Services Policies tab of the Media Services Information page.