McCombs Scholars Program
Meet a Scholar:
Susie & John L. Adams
Forty Acres Scholarship
”The combination of the generous Forty Acres Scholarship and the prestige of the McCombs Business Honors Program clinched my decision to attend the University. So far, the opportunities presented by both programs seem endless. Every day, I am fortunate to be surrounded by the best and brightest students, faculty and alumni, all of whom inspire me to challenge myself and take full advantage of my time at UT.”
Caroline Meyerson is a Business Honors, Plan II Honors, and Forty Acres Scholar. A graduate of Bellaire Senior High School, she was class president all four years. She was also editor-in-chief of the online school newspaper, copy editor of the print school newspaper, author and editor of the high school newsletter and intern with Bellaire Buzz Magazine. Caroline was a choreographer and officer of high school dance team, camp counselor and founder of CRA-Z Dance Group, a free afterschool program for underprivileged children.
The McCombs School of Business has placed a historical emphasis on awarding scholarships to enrolled students as a reward for demonstrated performance at the college level. As McCombs has evolved into one of the nation’s leading names in business education, this legacy has left it inadequately equipped with the freshman scholarships needed to recruit the nation’s top students. Each incoming class numbers some 800 talented freshmen, but McCombs awards only 19 (2%) of these students scholarship packages.
Not surprisingly, the lack of ability to provide scholarships costs McCombs many of its potentially best students. Surveys show that in instances where honors students chose to decline their offer in favor of another institution, half cited lack of sufficient financial support as their primary reason for doing so.
Tom Gilligan, Dean of the McCombs School, has made it a top priority to remedy this problem. With his support, we have set a goal to establish a community of scholars built on a tiered “McCombs Scholars” program meant to complement the existing Forty Acres Scholars Program. Over the long-term, this ambitious initiative seeks to equip the McCombs School with 375 total scholarships (over 90 per class)—enough to ensure that the very brightest young minds in business have every reason to call the McCombs School home. We hope you will join us in contributing to this important effort.
McCombs Scholars Program Levels
Forty Acres Scholarship: $500,000
- The premier full-ride scholarship program attracting the nation’s top student-leaders entering any of our colleges and schools at The University of Texas at Austin
- Funding provides for tuition and fees, housing and food, living stipend, books, summer enrichment activities, including a service-learning experience, study abroad, and internships tailored for each individual student
- Awarded to students who possess extraordinary intellectual qualities and the capacity to motivate and lead fellow students
- Every academic year centers the student experience around a theme that allows the cohort to share experiences from their individual academic units and includes varied and substantive team-building, academic, and leadership/cultural programming
- Access to exclusive University-wide opportunities, distinguished alumni, and mentors
- As a member of the McCombs Scholars’ community, the student is entitled to annual recognition at a reception with administrators, other scholarship recipients and alumni, and scholarship donors.
McCombs Presidential Scholarship: $250,000
- Generates roughly $12,500 per year for 4 years (currently provides full tuition and fees)
- This is an Endowed Presidential Scholarship awarded to students who have exhibited exceptional potential for academic, professional, and ethical leadership.
- As a member of the McCombs Scholars’ community, the student is entitled to both recognition at a reception with administrators, other scholarship recipients and alumni, and scholarship donors, and recognition through the president’s office.
- Funds additional enrichment activities, such as a global experience, leadership development conference, or case competition participation
McCombs Dean's Scholarship: $125,000
- Generates roughly $6,250 per year for 4 years (currently provides half tuition and fees)
- Awarded to students who have exhibited high potential for academic, professional, and ethical leadership
- As a member of the McCombs Scholars’ community, the student is entitled to both recognition at a reception with administrators, other scholarship
McCombs Scholars Program Progress and Goals
| Forty Acres Scholarship
|| 34 (8 per class)
|| 75 (19 per class)
| Available Full Tuition Scholarships
|| 52 (13 per class)
| McCombs Presidential Scholarship
|| 22 (5 per class)
|| 240 (60 per class)
| McCombs Dean’s Scholarship
|| 24 (5 per class)
|| 60 (15 per class)
|| 126 (31 per class)
| 375 (90+ per class)
| *This table’s total of all scholarships currently funded varies slightly each year by 2-3 scholarships due to factors such as non-endowed gifts.
Contact Director of Development Dianne Bangle at firstname.lastname@example.org or 512-475-8177. For corporate scholarships, contact Director of Corporate and Foundation Relations Donnell Ocker Roy at email@example.com or 512-471-8064.