Apply to Canfield BHP for Your Sophomore Year
Want to join Canfield BHP as a sophomore? No problem. Plan ahead and reach out with any questions you have to give yourself the best chance for success.
Sophomore Applications Overview
The Canfield BHP Sophomore Transfer application is currently open until May 1, 2024 (11:59 PM CT).
Virtual Information Sessions 2024
Current University of Texas at Austin Students
Letters of Recommendation for current UT Austin students can be uploaded by the recommender here: https://utexas.app.box.com/f/c1edfbfb32eb4292b6d00b3568f6a481
Students applying to both UT Austin (McCombs) and Canfield Business Honors from another college/university
All students interested in applying as a sophomore transfer need to complete a Canfield Business Honors Sophomore Application.
External transfer applicants must also apply to transfer to The University of Texas at Austin. Internal transfer students must also apply for acceptance to the McCombs School of Business, if not currently a McCombs student.
The Canfield Business Honors application for current UT students can be found via the Internal Transfer website, live on February 1. Current McCombs students and current students transferring to McCombs who also wish to be considered for Canfield can apply via this site.
External transfer applicants will apply via the Canfield transfer application, link above.
- Number and academic challenge of courses taken (min. 24 hours completed in-residence at UT or the student’s current institution). Claimed credit will not count towards the hours minimum but will be applied towards course requirements and overall review.
- Earned (non-placement) GPA for the first-year courses. *Due to the competitiveness of the application process, a student with a grade point average of less than 3.60 in at least 12 hours their first semester is unlikely to be admitted to Canfield Business Honors.
- Evidence of college-level extracurricular activities and leadership.
- Personal statement of future goals and desire to join the Canfield Business Honors community.
2023 Admissions Stats
- Applications: 139
- Admitted: 20
- Average GPA: 3.98
Sophomore Application Requirements
To apply to the Canfield Business Honors Program for sophomore admission, you must:
- Complete and submit the sophomore application via either the Internal Transfer website for current UT students, or the External to UT Canfield Business Honors application.
- Write a personal statement that explains your future goals and desire to join the Canfield BHP community.
- Submit a detailed expanded resume (Resume Tips for Canfield Business Honors).
- Submit a letter or recommendation from a professor or TA you had freshman year.
- Letters of Recommendation for current UT Austin students can be uploaded by the recommender here: https://utexas.app.box.com/f/c1edfbfb32eb4292b6d00b3568f6a481
- External students will provide an email address in their application for their recommender. The recommendation will be sent directly via email instruction.
- *Letters from BA101 professors and non-graduate student TAs will not be accepted.
- Agree on the application to have your record checked with UT Student Conduct and Academic Integrity for any prior academic violations. Any violations will be taken into consideration by the admissions committee.
- Complete a phone interview with a Canfield BHP alumnus (by invitation only throughout June).
Required Completed Coursework
Canfield BHP Sophomore applications require the following completed coursework:
- Students must have completed at least 24 semester hours of college level coursework in the fall and spring semesters of their freshman year.
- Coursework must include:
- Economics 304K and 304L
- Complete Calculus sequence: M 408K/L, M 408C/D, M 408Q, or M 408R
If you have an extenuating circumstance that prevents you from taking the courses listed above, please contact the Canfield BHP office at CanfieldBHP@mccombs.utexas.edu to discuss your situation.
Students are advised to enroll in classes such as Government, Statistics, Calculus, and Economics at the University of Texas at Austin during their freshman year to show a challenging course load.
Students who are past their first year of college coursework are not eligible to apply.
First Semester Canfield BHP Transfer Student Required Courses
- ACC 311H, STA 235H, BA 324H, MAN 327H, BA 151H, BA 101H*, and MAN 101H* = 12-14 hours. These courses are not negotiable for admitted students.
- Students who are admitted to McCombs and Canfield BHP (transferring from another UT college or to UT/McCombs externally) will work with their Canfield BHP advisor regarding STA 301 completion.
- All incoming Canfield BHP students should prioritize Canfield BHP course registration in their first admitted semester.
Course Transfer Restrictions
Please note the following restrictions for Canfield BHP sophomore admissions. If you have questions about these, please contact the Canfield BHP office at 512-475-6325 or CanfieldBHP@mccombs.utexas.edu.
- Applicants who complete any other course from the honors core (listed below) will not be eligible for sophomore admissions.
- ACC 311
- ACC 312
- STA 371
- STA 235
- BA 324
- MAN 327
- MAN 336
- OM 335
- OM 235
- FIN 357
- MKT 337
- LEB 323
- MAN 374
- DS 235
- No student admitted to Canfield BHP will be permitted to receive credit for any of these courses if they are taken during a summer session after the freshman year.
- Current McCombs students who are participating in an official summer study abroad experience that includes FIN 357, LEB 323, MAN 336, MKT 337, OM 235, or DS 235 are still eligible to apply.
- Students are encouraged (but not required) to complete MIS 301 (non-honors) and STA 301 (non-honors) during their freshman year.
- McCombs students will take BA 101 and MAN 101 in their freshman year.
Any questions about applying?
Ask us, and we’re happy to answer!