All MBA at Dallas/Fort Worth applicants are required to submit a GMAT, GRE, or Executive Assessment (EA) score. We will waive the testing requirement if:
- An expired (taken 5+ years ago) GMAT, GRE, or EA score is submitted
- General Test Waiver (merit-based) petition is approved
- COVID-19 Test Waiver petition is approved
The MBA Admissions Committee does not have a preference on which test you take, and there is no minimum score. You can review our MBA at Dallas/Fort Worth class profile for test score averages. More details on how to submit test scores or petition for a test waiver can be found below.
Current Test Scores (taken within 5 years)
For candidates submitting current scores:
- Send official scores to UT through the testing agency. School codes for the Texas McCombs Working Professional & Executive MBA programs:
GMAT and EA: 396-44-40
- Self report the score components you received on the date of the exam.
- Decisions on applications will not be released until an official score is received by the university (can take up to three weeks after the score is sent).
Expired Test Scores (taken 5+ years ago)
For candidates submitting expired scores:
- Self-report the score components you received on the date of the exam.
- Upload a copy of your score report.
- If your score report is unavailable, upload official, signed documentation from a person in the registrar or student records office where you sent the original score.
General Test Waiver (Merit-Based)
A merit-based test waiver is available by request prior to submitting your application. Waivers are not available for applicants who have already sent scores to UT.
For candidates who would like to request a merit-based test waiver:
- Submit the General Test Waiver petition form prior to submitting your application.
- The General Test Waiver petition form can be accessed directly (UT EID login required) or via the test scores section of the application.
- General Test Waiver approval is merit-based and takes into account your work experience and academic history. Your resume and transcripts are required for consideration.
- A decision on your test waiver request will be shared within 5-10 business days after submission.
- Waivers are not available for applicants who have already sent scores to UT.
COVID-19 Test Waiver
A test waiver is available if you have been directly affected by COVID-19 and are unable to take the exam in-person or online. Waivers are not available for applicants who have already sent sores to UT.
For candidates who would like to request a COVID-19 Test Waiver:
- Request the COVID-19 test waiver form by emailing TexasMBA@mccombs.utexas.edu.
- Submit the COVID-19 test waiver form prior to submitting your application.
- The COVID-19 test waiver is only for those applicants who are unable to take an exam in-person or online for reasons directly related to COVID-19.
- Waivers are not available for applicants who have already sent scores to UT.
TOEFL or IELTS Waivers
A waiver of the TOEFL or IELTS is automatically granted if you are an international applicant and have earned an undergraduate degree in a country where the official language is English. Please visit GIAC's country list. Applicants who meet one of the following criteria may also be eligible for a TOEFL/IELTS waiver:
• You have lived and worked full-time in the U.S. or in a country where English is the official language for at least two of the past four years.
• You hold a master's degree from a college or university located in the U.S. or from a country where English is the official language.
• You were educated solely in English for your undergraduate and/or prior graduate degree.
If you do not meet any of these conditions, you are required to submit the TOEFL or IELTS exam without exception. Waivers are processed 7-10 business days after application submission.
Evaluating your academic history is a two-step process.
Domestic transcripts must have been produced by the issuing institution within the past calendar year. If documents are written in a language other than English, complete and official English translations must be uploaded together with the original language transcripts (marksheets). It is critical that you block out social security numbers on all documents before uploading.
- Transcript Evaluation – Evaluation is completed by the admissions committee to ensure you can manage the academic rigor of the program. You will be asked to upload copies of your official transcripts (mark sheets) to Texas McCombs PRIOR to application fee payment.
- Transcript Validation – This step is completed by UT-GIAC. During the validation process, your degree is verified and GPA is calculated using upper division courses and Masters/PhD. You will be asked to upload copies of your official transcripts (mark sheets) to GIAC AFTER application fee payment.
Please read these instructions prior to uploading your transcripts to GIAC.
Tip: Don’t want to wait for a copy of your transcripts to reach you
in the mail? Ask your registrar if they are able to email you directly
with a .pdf copy of your official transcripts.
Within your application, you will provide your professional resume. Two years of full-time post-bachelor’s work experience (not internships) is required for the program. Full-time work experience is calculated up until the time of enrollment (the start of classes). This encompasses all work completed since your bachelor’s degree, including teaching, military service, and government experience (ex: the Peace Corp). Other types of experience can be explained fully in your application essays.
Essays are a critical means of assessing an applicant's motivation for attending the McCombs School of Business, their background and goals, and their communication and presentation skills. Strong applications convey careful research on McCombs and enthusiasm for the program. Please complete both required essays.
Letter of Recommendation
We require one recommendation from a person who has supervised your work and/or assessed your performance.
While completing your application, you will be able to send your recommender an invitation to submit their recommendation. Professional recommendations are strongly recommended (i.e. direct supervisor, indirect supervisor, or a client). If you are unable to request a letter of recommendation from your direct supervisor or feel that another recommender would be more appropriate, please explain why in your optional essay statement. Once your letter of recommendation is received, you will receive an automated email.
While completing the recommendation form, your recommender will be asked to assess specific competencies and traits, and they will also be asked to answer the following three questions:
Please provide a brief description of your interaction with the applicant and, if applicable, the applicant's role in your organizations. (50 words)
How does the performance of the applicant compare to that of other well-qualified individuals in similar roles? For example, what are the applicant's principal strengths? (Recommended word count: 250 words)
Describe the most important piece of constructive feedback you have given the applicant. Please detail the circumstances and the applicant's response. (Recommended word count: 250 words)
Your recommender will also have the option to upload a response to the optional question: "Is there anything else we should know?"
Tip: Give your recommender plenty of time to submit their recommendation by sending them an invitation via the application. Once you start your application, you can always save your progress.
Your content for Divider
Payment of the non-refundable $200 application fee is required. Accepted forms of payment are Visa, MasterCard, Discover, American Express, a U.S. Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT), or a U.S. eCheck.
Application Fee Waivers
MBA applicants who meet one or more of the following criteria may qualify for an application fee waiver:
• Veteran or current U.S. military service member
• Teach for America participant (current or alumni)
• Forté MBA Launch participant (current or alumni)
• Fulbright participant (current or alumni)
We are unable to offer application fee waivers based on financial need. Payment of the application fee prior to processing a waiver will not be refunded. If you apply to more than one Texas MBA program during the same admissions cycle, you are required to pay only the first application fee.
U.S. Permanent Resident Card
If you are a U.S. permanent resident, after you have submitted your application and paid the application fee, you will be required to upload a copy of the front and back of your permanent resident card (Green Card). This option is only available after you have paid your application fee in full. Applicants who have applied for U.S. permanent residency, but who do not yet have the Green Card in hand, must apply as international applicants. Should your Green Card arrive thereafter, you may notify GIAC to update your status.
MBA Admissions Interview
Interviews are by invitation only. Invitations can be sent out at any time between the submission and decision notification deadlines for each round. All interviews are conducted by a member of the Admissions Committee.
2021 UPDATE–ADMISSIONS INTERVIEWS
Admissions interviews are currently virtual until further notice.