skip main site navigation go to current site section navigation
MSF - Master of Science in Finance | Admissions

MSF International Applicants

  • Deadline for International Admissions
    Because of the processing time required for visa documents, applications from international students must be complete by February 10.  
  • Documents and Test Scores

    Transcripts: If transcripts are written in a language other than English, complete and official English translations must be provided together with the original records.

    TOEFL or IELTS: International students whose native language is not English must submit score from theTOEFL or IELTS. While the GIAC requirement for admission to the University of Texas is a minimum score of 79 on the TOEFL , the MSF Program has a higher standard, with a minimum requirement of 95, and a class average of 102.

    TOEFL or IELTS Waivers: A waiver of the TOEFL or IELTS is automatically granted (no request needed) if you are an international applicant and have earned an undergraduate degree in a country where the official language is English (must be official language, not just an English-speaking institution or a country where English is spoken).

  • Arrival Dates
    International students should plan to arrive in Austin in early July in order to allow for timely registration in MSF courses.
  • The International Office

    For issues related to immigration documents, securing visas, and and renewal or changes of immigration status, please contact the International Office. The office can provide information related to international student orientation, housing, financial aid, health insurance, legal questions, and many other issues particular to students coming to UT from outside the United States.

  • Certificate of Financial Responsibility

    All international applicants who plan to enroll at The University of Texas at Austin in F-1 or J-1 status must submit the Certification of Financial Responsibility even if they are currently living in the United States. Immigration regulations require every international student to verify the availability of financial resources to pay for all educational, living, and other expenses prior to the issuance of Form I-20 or Form DS-2019 for the F-1 or J-1 visa. A self-sponsored student must submit a bank statement proving the availability of sufficient funds for the first year of expenses. A student who is not self-sponsored must have a financial sponsor. This sponsor may be the student’s parents, spouse, or other person or institution accepting responsibility for the cost of study at The University of Texas at Austin. The sponsor must sign the financial statement provided in the application form or submit a separate letter guaranteeing payment of all educational, living, and other expenses. Expenses are higher for students who are married and/or have children. Please refer to the Certification of Financial Responsibility form for more details. Questions regarding the completion of the form should be directed to:

    Please note that the Certification of Financial Responsibility form is used for immigration document processing, not for admissions purposes. Therefore, the form is not required for the completion of an admissions application. However, the International Office will not issue the Form I-20 or Form DS-2019 until a student has been officially admitted and certification of adequate financial resources has been received.

  • Financial Assistance

    Financial aid for international students, including loans and merit-based assistance, is very limited. International students who apply should be prepared to finance the entire period of proposed study from personal funds. Please note that in addition to program tuition and fees, international students are responsible for health insurance fees and the ISSS student support fees.

  • Health Insurance and Medical Requirements

    There are medical clearance requirements for all incoming international students. International students cannot register for classes until they have submitted documentation to University Health Services (UHS) that they have met certain immunization and medical test requirements. Visit the Healthy Horns website to find details about required immunizations and medical tests, download and print the TB and Vaccination History for International Student form, and find instructions for submitting medical clearance information to UHS.

    All international students are required to purchase medical insurance at the time of registration, or show proof of comparable insurance and receive a waiver from the International Office.