Master of Science in Energy Management
Historically, economic prosperity has followed the production and consumption of energy. Fossil fuels have been the primary source of energy since the industrial revolution and the recent shale boom ensures that oil and gas will remain critical drivers of economic growth for the coming decades. At the same time, concerns about resource depletion, environmental effects, and geopolitical relations have generated an increasing interest in alternative energy sources and sustainability. While the feasibility of various energy sources to meet long-term future energy needs continues to be tested, there is no argument about the continued importance of energy, from all sources, to our economy, security, and standard of living. A new, highly trained cadre of professionals is needed to meet the energy challenges of the future, and UT is committed to educating them.
The Master of Science in Energy Management provides a means to explore the energy future and prepare for exciting careers across the industry. The MSEM is STEM eligible and our curriculum features:
- Award-winning, inter-disciplinary faculty leading small cohort classes
- A capstone experience working with real-world companies on energy issues
- Specialized career coaching, including career search tips, mock interviews, and industry visits, to prepare for a career following graduation
- A weekly seminar where academic and industry energy experts present cutting-edge technologies, evaluation approaches, and future trends
- STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) eligibility hosted at one of the nation's top business schools
No work experience is required for applicants, and the program is open to all undergraduate majors. Applicants will be required to demonstrate quantitative aptitude through coursework or test scores.
Download the MSEM Info Guide
Admissions to the full-time program is selective. We will not review incomplete applications. Qualified applicants should meet the following criteria:
- An undergraduate degree from an accredited institution
- Strong communication skills and motivation
- Upper-division GPA of 3.0 or higher
- No work experience required, though students with work, leadership, and/or professional experience are encouraged to apply
Upcoming Info Sessions
Tuesday, September 10 | 5:30-6:30 | BRB 1.118 | Cookies Provided! | Joint session with MSF Program
Wednesday, October 23 | 5:00-6:00 pm | GSB 2.120 | Cookies Provided! | Live streaming available - link provided in October
Attend an Info Session
Register for More Information
Keep in touch with MSEM to find out when applications open and to hear about upcoming informational sessions regarding the program. Register for our mailing list!